Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Maalot Baltimore?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 11:07 am
Does Maalot Balitmore have a first year seminary option? I was looking at their website and kept seeing links for second year.

Anything anyone can tell me about Maalot Baltimore would be appreciated. If you went there, what type of a degree did you get? How long did it take? What are you working in today? Did you like the program? What type of girls went, what was the atmosphere like?

TIA!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 2:04 pm
They stopped the first yea a couple of years ago, but there has been talk of re-opening it if there were enough people coming. I guess that hasn't happened yet.

A couple of my sisters went for second year and I have a sister in law who went there for first year. But I'm not sure if any of this would be relevant if they don't have a first year option any more.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 3:25 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
They stopped the first yea a couple of years ago, but there has been talk of re-opening it if there were enough people coming. I guess that hasn't happened yet.

A couple of my sisters went for second year and I have a sister in law who went there for first year. But I'm not sure if any of this would be relevant if they don't have a first year option any more.

Thanks much for responding and for the info.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 9:15 pm
Someone emailed me this:
They most definitely have a 1st year program this year. My daughter has a Big Sister who goes there. I haven't asked her much about it but she is a great girl so if the other girls are similar, I would highly recommend.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 9:19 pm
Thank you again.

I would really love to speak to someone who has gone there recently. I know two people who went there (and loved it) but like, 10 years ago or so.

Even better would be if I knew of someone from Lakewood who went there.

One of the people I know who went there for the 2nd year told me that if she could do it all over again, she'd skip going to Israel, where she had a so-so year, and go to Maalot for two years.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 9:27 pm
Maybe ask your dd's high school if any of their graduates went there. Or maybe your dd can ask her friends, they usually know exactly who went to which seminary.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:25 am
I went to Maalot a Looooong time ago for second year and got my degree there. I'm sure its changed a lot since then. (I'm still working using that degree b'h)
Mrs Rosenbaum is amazing. She is so smart, and warm and personable, after I finished Maalot she was the one I went back to to discuss things, like shidduchim, uncomfortable job situations and she was always so smart and normal. I remember one situation I had asked a shaila about at work and was told it was okay, but still felt funny about it, and I remember her reaction and it made me feel so normal.
And the classes were really fantastic.

I do know one Lakewood girl who went there maybe 3 years ago. Her sister was saying she wanted to go but she didn't think there was a first year program.

On a side note, I grew up in Baltimore, it can be a culture shock for those coming from Lakewood (I live in Lakewood now), it is so much more OOT. Smile

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:29 am
amother wrote:
I do know one Lakewood girl who went there maybe 3 years ago. Her sister was saying she wanted to go but she didn't think there was a first year program.

On a side note, I grew up in Baltimore, it can be a culture shock for those coming from Lakewood, it is so much more OOT. Smile

Do you know if the Lakewood girl would be willing to speak to me IRL? It would be so helpful to have someone I could call with questions.

I'm not worried about the culture shock - we have quite a few relatives in Baltimore.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 1:21 pm
I teach computer graphics at Maalot Baltimore. The graphics classes are, of course, superb! Wink We do get some students from other cities. This year I have a student from Queens. Last year I had one from California. When Maalot had a first year program there were some dorm apartments, but right now OOT students board with local families.

A resumption of the first year program is under discussion, but I don't know whether there will be one next year or not. If I hear any news on that, I will post it.

Ethel Fischer at 410-358-3144 ext. 18 will be happy to answer any questions you have concerning programs, majors, and atmosphere.

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 7:42 pm
I am the amother who Hashem Yaazor mentioned below. I spoke the person today who is at Maalot. She explained that there is no official first year program this year due to lack of enrollment. They have 5 girls total who would be first year. The girls basically are part of the 2nd year program with some modifications to their curriculum. They also do some special events just for them but they are essentially part of the 2nd year program. (which has about 40 girls). Chayelle, I will PM you with some more info as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics