Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Staten Island (Willowbrook) Kosher shopping

mema613

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 1:30 pm
My daughter will be moving to Willowbrook, where would one shop for kosher items ex raw meat, shabbos takeout, etc. without driving into Brooklyn.

working hard

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 8:12 pm
Moisha's and Gourmet Glatt deliver every wednesday.

mema613

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 8:30 pm
working hard wrote:

Nothing local?

working hard

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 8:59 pm
We have famous kosher bakery which is bakery and very basic grocery items. There is a butcher that I do not use so I do not know too much about it. There used to be 3 stores in a row of milchig takeout/restaurant, bakery and then fleishig butcher and takeout but they closed/moved to make way for a big full grocery store. That big store was supposed to open long ago. We are still waiting.

mema613

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 9:14 pm
What about bagel store or pizza? I got the impression that Famous Bakery was closing soon.

mema613

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 9:29 pm
working hard wrote:

Check out EZKosher.com, they have delivery almost daily from Gourmet Glatt, Paperific and soon Goldberg's Freshmarket. $50 min ($20 for Paperific) and $5.99 delivery. (At least according to the website)

working hard

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 9:39 pm
No bagel or pizza stores right now.

mema613

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 9:58 pm
working hard wrote:

So where do do most people go if they want to go out (not fancy), Boro Park Brooklyn or Elizabeth NJ?

Motheroftwins

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:04 pm
working hard wrote:

There is a pizza store called dairy palace. There is also a milchig café type place called scoops. There is a Chinese takeout. There is also the JCC where u can buy kosher food. There is a fleishig restaurant called holy schnitzel. There is famous kosher bakery which is a small convenience store that I believe will remain open until the large supermarket opens. There is a butcher who has great quality meats and he also has a small grocery in the store.

staten islander

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:13 pm
There is also a large kosher supermarket slated to open soon.The kosher pizza has sushi,salad,wraps,etc.The fleishig place,Holy Schnitzel has a lot of options, as does Scoops.For groceries,there is Costco,Trader Joe's .Stop and Shop,etc.Please pm me if I can be of help

mema613

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:13 pm
Motheroftwins wrote:
There is a pizza store called dairy palace. There is also a milchig café type place called scoops. There is a Chinese takeout. There is also the JCC where u can buy kosher food. There is a fleishig restaurant called holy schnitzel. There is famous kosher bakery which is a small convenience store that I believe will remain open until the large supermarket opens. There is a butcher who has great quality meats and he also has a small grocery in the store.

Thank you!

mema613

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:21 pm
Is Dairy Palace open? It looked like it was closed as well as Kosher Island when I went to check out the neighborhood while looking for an apartment for my daughter. I did not try to go behind the green barriers that appeared to be blocking the stores. I did see the small bakery around the corner though.

Kumphort

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:46 pm
Dairy palace moved a couple stores down.
Behind the green barriers is where the new supermarker is supposed to be opening

rd5081

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:47 pm
Anyone knows a definite date yet for when they will open?

rd5081

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:48 pm
Is construction going on for it yet at all?

Kumphort

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:49 pm
No definite date. Maybe pesach time?

rd5081

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:51 pm
Have they started working there yet?

Grandma 1

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 11:14 pm
As was said, Famous Kosher Bakery, carries baked goods, (including bagels from Bagel Hole in Flatbush), groceries, refrigerated and frozen foods.
As for take-out, aside from the Brooklyn deliveries mentioned above, you can also place a Shabbos order with Gourmet on J, in Flatbush, by Thursday, early afternoon, and it will be delivered to Famous Bakery, where you can pick it up, anytime on Friday. Luzee's Take-out, in Borough Park, also makes home deliveries, on Thursday's & Friday's.
Around the corner, from Famous, on Victory Blvd. is Dairy Palace a nice Pizza store/Dairy restaurant (no waiter service) with an extensive dairy, fish & pasta menu. Their food is very good. There was a good take-out place, Kosher Island, on the block as well; but they were forced to close, when the building that houses these stores was bought last year by Chassidim, who were supposed to renovate, and build a Kosher Supermarket, which would also include a bakery, and a take-out department. The original projected opening date was before last Pesach, but unfortunately that never happened. I understand that work has finally begun recently; and rumor has it that they aim to have it open before this coming PesachPesach.
There is a Glatt Kosher Butcher, called Payless, in New Springville, as well as a "fleishig" restaurant, Holy Shnitzel, about 5 minutes away from Willowbrook, near the SI Mall.
There is also another dairy restaurant/ ice-cream store, called Scoops, a few blocks from the Bakery, on Jewett Avenue. I believe they have Cholov Yisroel, as well as pareve ice-creams. Finally, there is a Cholov Stam Carvel, nearby, on Manor Rd., under Kof K supervision.

Grandma 1

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 11:27 pm
Sorry, I forgot the Chinese Take-out, Chopshtix, on Victory Blvd, near Jewett. They also have delicious fried chicken.
Also, to answer your questions: I believe that Famous plans to remain open, until the supermarket opens. Dairy Palace (Pizza Store) moved a couple of stores down, on the same block.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries