Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ADHD programs like playattention or neurofeedback

flmommy

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 7:54 am
Has anyone tried anyone the neurofeedback programs that are supposed to help with ADHD such as Playattention? If so did you see any results?

giselle

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 7:57 am
As a professional who works with adhd children, I'm not advising either way, but if this is one of those programs that require that you drop all other therapies, I will just let you know that most professionals do not encourage it.

flmommy

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 9:39 am
No need to drop other therapies and can continue on meds. Program works with bio feedback and neuroscience to train brain supposably to be more attentive.

imasinger

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 4:40 pm
We tried neurofeedback. DS said it made him feel really relaxed, but we didn't see any lasting effects. CBT and meds worked, neurofeedback just burned a large hole in the wallet.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 5:01 pm
We use a computer program called HeartMath that teaches you to calm your body reactions down. I find it useful because you can see what types of breathing or whatever actually you down, and practice them, which helps with outbursts and elevated emotions and patience and frustration issues. But not attention...

Imasinger, how has CBT helped you with attention?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 5:07 pm
I have found of all therapies, a good OT program works wonders for my d's.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 5:58 pm
I am a focus and braintraining coach.
Play Attention is one of the six programs our company uses.
I find that it definitely has a place in practicing how to control focus, attention and body restlessness.

imasinger

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 6:09 pm
amother wrote:
We use a computer program called HeartMath that teaches you to calm your body reactions down. I find it useful because you can see what types of breathing or whatever actually you down, and practice them, which helps with outbursts and elevated emotions and patience and frustration issues. But not attention...

Imasinger, how has CBT helped you with attention?

It didn't. It helped with the aftermath of outbursts, and some with techniques for preventing them.

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 6:29 pm
from what I read (and the last time I looked into this was at least a year ago so I should probably refresh) the theoretical basis is very promising but they did not yet come up with a practically useful application - it seems that the existing programs and research trials had some significant results within the studies but lacked generalization and continuation of the benefits. IOW measurable brain function improved but often did not extend to real life performance and even when it did the effects did not last after the treatment was stopped.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
I find that it definitely has a place in practicing how to control focus, attention and body restlessness.

Please tell me: What are the other five programs that your company uses to control focus, attention, body restlessness?

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:

What is the name of your company? How can you or your company be reached?

Are any of these services or programs covered by health insurance or the department of education?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 9:19 pm
We're in Toronto, Canada: maximind.ca
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children