Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Chevron-next week?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 6:58 pm
I am IYH coming to Israel for a long-awaited vacation next week. I am booked to go to Chevron with Simcha Hochbaum. I really really want to go. I am just a 'tad' nervous about the security situation there. The Chevron people assured me that they take strong precautions-armored busses, armed guards, staying in touch constantly with security forces to know what areas are safe, etc.
What I want to hear from all of you is "Go! Enjoy! They know what they are doing." But on the other hand, I don't want to be stupid and do something unsafe.
So please, your honest opinions. Go or skip?
(please say go, please say go.......)

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 7:27 pm
I'd go. Just wouldn't mention it to parents or in laws until after.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:51 pm
"Go! Enjoy! They know what they are doing." LOL

(Chevron would worry me less than the journey there. The place itself is always crawling with security)

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:56 pm
Skip. . Not worth the risk

cpn

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:57 pm
Wouldn't recommend, sorry. Crawling with security helps ge the terrorist after the story. Yerushalayim would be a safer choice.

etky

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
"Go! Enjoy! They know what they are doing." LOL

(Chevron would worry me less than the journey there. The place itself is always crawling with security)

Tzomet Hagush is also ''crawling with security".
What cpn said.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 9:53 pm
How can you enjoy when you have to worry all the time - wait for a time when things will hopefully quiet down

JMM-uc

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 10:54 pm
There is LOADS of security there. Personally, being the anxious type, I wouldn't go. It really is going to be safe though beH, so if you're feeling good about it, go for it and enjoy!

etky

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 11:42 pm
JMM-uc wrote:
There is LOADS of security there. Personally, being the anxious type, I wouldn't go. It really is going to be safe though beH, so if you're feeling good about it, go for it and enjoy!

The loads of security is why you have not been hearing in the news about attacks in Hevron recently.
Literally every other day, at least, there is an attempted stabbing attack, usually near Me'arat Hamachpela.
B"h the overwhelming majority are either thwarted or end with no significant injuries to our forces. Still, that's no guarantee.
That's not to mention the attacks that take place on the road going into Hevron though they have been greatly reduced because of the massive IDF presence on the roads. They're still trying all the time though....
Probability of you personally being in an attack, given the precautions that as you say the tour organizers will take, is probably low.
However there's no denying that going into Hevron now is going into the lion's den.
You have to weigh up all the factors: your own strong desire to visit, the contribution that your visit will make to the local economy and to the community's morale vs. the security risk and the possible anxiety that might cast a pall on your visit.
If you do book, make sure to ask what the cancellation policy is in case you have second thoughts once you arrive here or if circumstances change.

5mom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 12:56 am
Bizarrely, more civilians have been killed in Tel Aviv than in Chevron. It makes sense to see Chevron as more dangerous, but you really don't know.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 1:01 am
5mom wrote:
Bizarrely, more civilians have been killed in Tel Aviv than in Chevron. It makes sense to see Chevron as more dangerous, but you really don't know.

And many of the terrorists in the Tel Aviv and numerous other attacks have been residents of Chevron and its environs.
Right now it is the terror capital.
Basically the Hevron area and the southern Hevron hills are Hamasland.

cityofgold

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 1:16 am
My hashkafa is that if a place is not considered a makom sakana, you do "normal" things like tourist visits with emunah that you'll only be hurt if Hashem planned it for you.

If a place is a makom sakana, then all bets are off, so to speak.

(In a nutshell--you cross the street after checking for cars. You don't cross blindly, saying that Hashem will only let you be killed if it was your time to die.)

The question that remains is if Chevron is a makom sakana. I would contend that it is and would not go. Some people would say otherwise, though.

chani8

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 6:02 am
I hate to deter anyone from visiting and touring the Holy Land. But right now, it is not appropriate to put yourself at risk in an area (Hevron and Gush Etzion) that you do not have to go to. If you lived there, that would be another thing. Israelis are not going touring there. So why would you?

etky

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 7:29 am
etky wrote:
Tzomet Hagush is also ''crawling with security".
What cpn said.

BD"E - A terror attack at the tzomet this evening just claimed another life - a 21 year old girl who was waiting at the bus stop in the direction of Kiryat Arba. Her name has not yet been publicized.
The two or three soldiers standing at every single bus stop, the army pillbox, the security cameras, the barriers erected following the pigua at Rami Lev - none of these prevented this latest stabbing.
The terrorist came from Beit Fajr, the village right near the tzomet and across the road from Migdal Oz. A very hostile village that has spawned many terrorists over the years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions