Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Fish oil, vitamin D, crucera

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:32 pm
Who gives these to their kids with issues (or takes them for themselves)?

Do they help with attention, self control, and mood?

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:54 pm
I wanted to do fish oil but so far have not found the magic trick to getting them to choke it down. I heard the gummy type is not worth it. The real stuff is well supported by research.

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:57 pm
We did fish oil last year with my 4 year old. The benefits were minimal. Hallowell seems to think it works which was why we tried.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 10:59 pm
How did you get the 4yo to take it?! I don't have the heart because I tasted some myself and it is every bit as nasty as she kvetched it was.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:00 pm
I give fish oil (cod liver) and vitamin d to my children for overall health. I have not seen any miracles or anything drastic... I wasnt looking for anything specific but I havent seen any changes either.

My kids take cinamon flaver mixed with butter oil (which tastes worse than cod liver oil believe it or not) chased down by milk or just by itself. I chase it with water or milk. My kids can take it plain but prefer not to.

I have not heard of crucera.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:04 pm
mha3484 wrote:
We did fish oil last year with my 4 year old. The benefits were minimal. Hallowell seems to think it works which was why we tried.

Who or what is Hallowell?

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:24 pm
Edward hallowell is a big add/adhd expert. I highly reccomend reading his books.

I bought an orange flavored one and I think he just took it. He's very easy going about food in general. Most medicine kids like make me gag I think that they have different taste buds.

imasinger

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 6:15 am
Crucera is basically concentrated broccoli.

All 3 have some documented effect in studies. I was just curious if anyone had seen a difference firsthand.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 7:24 am
my son has impulsivity and I tried for a full year fish oil the liquid. the best there is with a hechsher. and I didnt see any change. oh he didnt get sick the entire winter. but other then that none. we are taking him to someone here in lakewood. using a specific method knows to calm down add kids. and I see a major change.

SorGold

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 8:13 am
amother wrote:
my son has impulsivity and I tried for a full year fish oil the liquid. the best there is with a hechsher. and I didnt see any change. oh he didnt get sick the entire winter. but other then that none. we are taking him to someone here in lakewood. using a specific method knows to calm down add kids. and I see a major change.

What method?

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 1:00 pm
We're doing brocolli seed now. I have seen a difference in overall tolerance of things and ability to take in info (it's supposed to mimic the positive effects of fever on kids with autism). We also do D, but that's because he had low bone density, so I don't know of its helping anything else.

You didn't ask, but we are also doing NAC with good results.

imasinger

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
We're doing brocolli seed now. I have seen a difference in overall tolerance of things and ability to take in info (it's supposed to mimic the positive effects of fever on kids with autism). We also do D, but that's because he had low bone density, so I don't know of its helping anything else.

You didn't ask, but we are also doing NAC with good results.

Cool. What's NAC?

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 1:42 am
You can get a blood test to tell vitamin D levels, have you done that post-diagnosis to see if his levels are normal with supplements? If he has bone density issues that's really dangerous.

I actually was diagnosed with critically low vitamin D deficiency last year. Mine was 8 units where "normal" is around 30 units. I definitely had symptoms: joint and muscle pain, impaired thinking, and weakness. I take high dose supplements now and started feeling better a few weeks after taking it. I was able to concentrate more (but I also have ADHD so I'm not great in that anyway) and the physical symptoms went away.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 7:51 am
Lemon, yes. Before starting any vitamin, check with your doc to check levels. There are some where overdosing is no big deal (I think D is one), and some where it really is (B vitamins). Fyi, ds's D levels were fine, but his calcium levels weren't, and you need that to absorb the D. So we did both. And if you do end up needing a bone density scan, they were hard to find for kids while we were in that parsha, but I believe we found one at Roosevelt in NY.

NAC is high dose antioxidants. We use it to bring down irritability and even him out in general.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:12 am
amother wrote:
Lemon, yes. Before starting any vitamin, check with your doc to check levels. There are some where overdosing is no big deal (I think D is one)

No, it is a very big deal.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/heal.....58108

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:20 am
There are some where overdosing is not a big deal but D isn't one. IIRC it has to do with whether they are fat or water soluble; the water soluble ones get peed out if there's extra. I believe vitamin C is one of those. Don't take my word for it though. Also I read that you can't overdose on the fish oil itself, if it results in loose poop you are probably taking more than you can absorb and may as well cut down just because the stuff is gross and expensive - but unlikely to hurt you.

chani8

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 2:55 am
Fish oil and vit D do not help with ADD in a noticeable manner. But they are overall good for the brain. However, they also get toxic. One good fish oil and a small dose of vit D daily is good, but not more.

What is also important is magnesium and the Bs.

And for ADD, specifically, there is Maca (add and mood) or ginseng, and for ADHD there is Valerian (adhd) and chamomile (mood). Those herbs will show immediate results.

St John's Wort is in it's own category for ADD, and one should proceed with caution. But when it is a match, it's incredibly effective.

Herbal effects are noticed immediately.

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 7:00 am
Chani, I am looking for personal experiences. If you gave this to any of yours, would you mind sharing some details, so that I have some idea of what success looked like from your experience?

chani8

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 7:48 am
imasinger wrote:
Chani, I am looking for personal experiences. If you gave this to any of yours, would you mind sharing some details, so that I have some idea of what success looked like from your experience?

Yes, several of us take omega 3 and vit D and Mag, and varying herbs that I've mentioned, depending on the brain type.

Success on the herbs was dramatic.

Most of us gave up on fish oil quickly because it is hard to digest. Instead, we use Chia Seed Oil (gels) and can stomach them fine. Nothing noticeable, though, healing wise, just knowing that we're taking care of ourselves.

After years of tznius, all of us 'girls' were Vit D deficient so we started taking Vit D drops, and then after we moved, took to sitting in the morning sun on a regular basis. We noticed a big difference in energy and feel great when we get sunshine, more than when we just took the D drops.

As far as the herbs, first you need to understand the difference in brain types. Read or google about how Dr Amen classifies ADD types, just to understand that there are significant differences, which is why some things work for some people and different things work for others. The science of it is interesting. Anyway, Dr Amen prescribes meds, but in his books, he gives alternatives to meds for health freaks who wont use meds. His book on ADD is where I first started learning about brains and eventually found herbal alternatives for specific ADD types for my family (and friends). He has other books out, which I'd love to read, though I think his fame may have gone to his head a bit and he's gotten kind of cheesy and fanatic about brain health. But still, a genius worth learning from.

So, like the field of psychiatry, finding the right herbs is like finding the right meds, often it's a 'hit or miss'. The benefits of herbs is that it's often a quick learning. Sometimes you nail it, and sometimes you cant wait for the dose to wear off. My experience is that for some ADD cases, when you nail it, you cannot believe the difference. That day! The person lights up, calms down, focuses, gets moving, or stops freaking out, etc etc, depending on the person.

It is very much like smoking marijuana in that it's immediately apparent how the herb affects the person. Does that make sense? Vitamins, other than Magnesium, dont show such dramatic effects.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)