Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Best secular education of MO elementary in Brooklyn?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:49 am
My understanding is that there are currently 4 MO elementary schools in Brooklyn:

1. yeshiva of flatbush
2. yeshiva of crown heights
3. yeshiva of manhattan beach
4. yeshivat bitahon (yeshiva of belle harbor)

I am looking for insight into the quality of the secular education of each yeshiva and how they compare with one another. I would appreciate anyone who has any experience with these schools weighing in here..thank you!

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 1:48 pm
Hands down, Flatbush. Manhattan Beach doesn't even exist anymore and has merged with Crown Heights, and if you would like to pm me I can tell you my thoughts on the education. While I have heard anecdotally that the secular education at Flatbush has gone down from what it once was, it is still leap years ahead of the other schools. It is also a lot more expensive though. I have also heard that the elementary school is now primarily attended by Syrian families, and if you are not SY, you need to be ok with your child being a stark minority if you choose this school.

If you are willing to send your child to a girls or boys only MO school and are ashkenaz, then there's also derech hatorah and shulamith. I send my stepson to derech and have been very pleased with the education thus far. Shulamith is supposed to be similar.

You might also want to look into JFS on Staten Island. I have heard good things about them and they offer reduced tuition to Brooklyn families as well as have a Brooklyn van for transportation. And if you have the means and don't mind sending your child so far, perhaps check out some of the 5T/LI schools.

oohlala

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 8:35 pm
Yeshiva of Flatbush

brooklyn

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 11:27 am
As the previous poster said YOF provides an amazing education but at a tremendous price. It is also a very high pressure school, educationally and socially. I can speak about Yeshivat BitaHon as my child went there. It is also an amazing school with great teachers. It is a small setting school where the class size is capped at 15 students. It is coed with a decent mix of Ashkenaz and Sefard. Three years ago they hired a new Principal, Ms. Arielle Jolovitz who was a Principal at Magen David for many years. She is wonderful and has worked hard to bring up the school to where it is now. The building is not the greatest but it is warm and homey. They were in Belle Harbor but was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy and have been in Brooklyn since then. I would highly recommend them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics