Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Average Grocery Bill

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:04 pm
How much is an average grocery bill per month for a family of 4-5, all of whom are "eaters." Our own numbers have gone up dramatically since we were newly married, and I wonder if it is because I am being lax or because it is normal for a family the size I have to be eating so much?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:13 pm
My average grocery bill, weekly varies between 245.00 and 270.00, we are a family of 6 with big kids already...I have found if I am really really carefully I can keep it down to 200.00 but lately Ive been having trouble even doing that...the prices seem to be just going up a lot (I live in Monsey, where groceries are a bit more expensive than Brooklyn , you always have to take the location of where you live into account)

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:15 pm
we spend anywhere between 1000-1400, and I am not being careful at all. Until recently when our overall number has gotten out of control and I am looking for places to cut.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:24 pm
For 3 eaters I budget 800-1000 a month for food items only. This includes all weekday, shabbos, produce etc. I would think for 4-5 1000 is reasonable.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:30 pm
Family of 7- average 700 shekel a week, but do also ocassionally go to butcher as well

tichellady

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:35 pm
there is no normal- depends on local prices, what you eat, how much you eat, how healthy you eat, etc. prices have also risen a lot in the past few years. in the past four years chicken prices have doubled where I live.

Sudy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:43 pm
Family of 7 in Brooklyn

$200 per week including all food, household items like diapers.

double u

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:46 pm
Family of seven and I spend like 300 for fruits and groceries. And I don't buy luxuries items. Do you plastic plates and cutlery though. I'd love to be able to spend less. Doesn't work somehow Crying Crying

yksraya

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:49 pm
That depends where you live.

my orders are about $300-$400 a wk (excluding butcher) this includes plastic goods too. But I do have shabbos guests often. I have 4 kids bh and my teenage sis lives by us too, so it's for a fam of 7 plus guests.
I do however shop comfortably and use a lot of disposables. I don't shop for crazy expensive foods just out of the blue tho.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics