Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Travel Advisory for all Americans until February 2016
1  2  Next

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 1:47 am
Our government just announced a travel advisory until after the holiday season-
What are your thoughts?

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 3:34 am
ValleyMom wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Hard to gauge. The State Dept routinely issues hysterical travel warnings in this neck of the woods.

I thought ISIS was contained? Rolling Eyes So many mixed messages...

m in Israel

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 4:08 am
DrMom wrote:
Hard to gauge. The State Dept routinely issues hysterical travel warnings in this neck of the woods.

Yes, my first reaction when I saw this in the news was why is this news? I am constantly getting email "alerts" from the state department! I guess when it affects more than just Israel it makes it to the headlines. . .

etky

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 4:10 am
DrMom wrote:

This was a worldwide travel warning. Here it is:

The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to possible risks of travel due to increased terrorist threats. Current information suggests that ISIL (aka Da’esh), al-Qa’ida, Boko Haram, and other terrorist groups continue to plan terrorist attacks in multiple regions. These attacks may employ a wide variety of tactics, using conventional and non-conventional weapons and targeting both official and private interests. This Travel Alert expires on February 24, 2016.

Authorities believe the likelihood of terror attacks will continue as members of ISIL/Da’esh return from Syria and Iraq. Additionally, there is a continuing threat from unaffiliated persons planning attacks inspired by major terrorist organizations but conducted on an individual basis. Extremists have targeted large sporting events, theatres, open markets, and aviation services. In the past year, there have been multiple attacks in France, Nigeria, Denmark, Turkey, and Mali. ISIL/Da’esh has claimed responsibility for the bombing of a Russian airliner in Egypt.

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowed places. Exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday festivals or events. U.S. citizens should monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities. Persons with specific safety concerns should contact local law enforcement authorities who are responsible for the safety and security of all visitors to their host country. U.S. citizens should:

Follow the instructions of local authorities. Monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
Register in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

Foreign governments have taken action to guard against terrorist attacks, and some have made official declarations regarding heightened threat conditions. Authorities continue to conduct raids and disrupt terror plots. We continue to work closely with our allies on the threat from international terrorism. Information is routinely shared between the United States and our key partners in order to disrupt terrorist plotting, identify and take action against potential operatives, and strengthen our defenses against potential threats.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 4:57 am
ValleyMom wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Oh, It's dangerous here? I never would have known without their helpful warning was my immediate reaction.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 5:02 am
Right -- I know it was a worldwide travel alert. I was just making the point that the State Dept often issues travel warnings in cases where it seems unnecessary, so it is hard to gauge when the warnings are justified and when they are not.

The State Dept who cried wolf...

But all things considered, I do think it's not a great time to travel overseas.

esther09

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 6:49 am
I guess I just don't understand which part is dangerous - the flying part? I live in a big city now. I work in a populated part of town and take public transportation to get there. How exactly am I supposed to avoid crowds?

I guess I just don't understand the point of this warning beyond inducing hysteria. Unless they lock down our cities and tell us to stop living our daily lives (like Brussels...), then these statements are pretty meaningless.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 6:11 pm
You said it is WORLDWIDE warning? Then it obviously covers USA? Places where a large number of people congregate? Oh darn, better alert my SILs not to go to shopping malls till next Feb because I don't want them exposed to raised security risks...

November

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 6:22 pm
No, this warning was for travel outside of the US. And it was said that there is no specific information on threats- just a broad sweeping warning. Don't know how helpful that is.

Raisin

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 6:25 pm
gee I feel a lot safer in my country then in the USA. We don't have random people shooting up shopping malls, schools and health clinics round here.

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 6:28 pm
esther09 wrote:
I guess I just don't understand which part is dangerous - the flying part? I live in a big city now. I work in a populated part of town and take public transportation to get there. How exactly am I supposed to avoid crowds?

I guess I just don't understand the point of this warning beyond inducing hysteria. Unless they lock down our cities and tell us to stop living our daily lives (like Brussels...), then these statements are pretty meaningless.

This.
I am generally not the hysterical type but even I'm avoiding midtown and major hubs when I can, and I might be more nervous if I actually worked in/near one instead of just passing through most days.
But in the absence of more specific information, life just has to go on.

shoshanim999

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 6:40 pm
esther09 wrote:

Its especially dangerous in areas that have large Muslim populations, particularly places that haven't been diligent in keeping Muslims from entering from other areas. Those are obviously the most dangerous.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 9:55 pm
I flew in the US early Thanksgiving morning. It was mobbed! And there were dogs passing by along the line. I don't know what they were trained to notice.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 9:57 pm
amother wrote:
I flew in the US early Thanksgiving morning. It was mobbed! And there were dogs passing by along the line. I don't know what they were trained to notice.

Drugs, weapons and explosives.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 10:22 pm
seeker wrote:
This.
I am generally not the hysterical type but even I'm avoiding midtown and major hubs when I can, and I might be more nervous if I actually worked in/near one instead of just passing through most days.
But in the absence of more specific information, life just has to go on.

Same here. I'd avoid going into Manhattan if not necessary.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 12:35 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Drugs, weapons and explosives.

And when they are deployed in the customs area of the international arrivals hall they are also sniffing for food, especially fruits, vegetables and cheeses.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 12:37 am
etky wrote:
And when they are deployed in the customs area of the international arrivals hall they are also sniffing for food, especially fruits, vegetables and cheeses.

Yea that's always a good idea.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 12:45 am
esther09 wrote:

The advisory did not pertain to domestic travel within the US but rather to US citizens travelling internationally to all parts of the world.
It certainly didn't say anything about avoiding crowds and public transportation in US cities.
I'm not saying there isn't a reason to be wary within the US too, just that this is not what the advisory says.
In fact, a few days ago President Obama made a statement meant to reassure the public over the current holiday season, in which he asserted that there were no immediate known threats regarding planned terror attacks in the US. You can take it or leave it but let's be clear about what the US govt. is advising.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 1:23 am
My sister wants to meet in Mexico.
I think its not a great idea right now.
What do you think?

What about a cruise?

Maybe Ft.Lauderdale to the Bahamas
OR
LA to Mexico?

Or is that crazy with that travel advisory...

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 7:07 am
For whatever it's worth, my brother and his wife went to Mexico from NY on Thanksgiving day, and are staying for a week. State Dept advisory be darned!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics