Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do you do Laundry?
Previous  1  2

naomi2

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:16 pm
One Hamper for me and dh. One hamper for the kids.
I do two loads of mixed clothes on Tues eve. And the cleaning lady does a towel load and linen loads. and folds it all on Wed. She also puts it in my drawers.
I don't sort by color because its less efficient and my whites don't seem to suffer, all loads go on cool water. I hang the delicates to dry.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 11:06 pm
2 adults, 7 kids K"EH.I have three hampers in the laundry room - whites, darks and the 3rd one is for Shabbos/shirts and misc. Whichever hamper is full gets washed - 1 to 2 daily. I try to fold/put away as we go along so it doesn't get overwhelming.

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 11:30 pm
I wash everything on hot and dry everything on high heat. Some stuff I hang dry. In my experience sorting by color isn't actually necessary.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 10:15 am
One hamper for our bedroom, one for kids room (two kids).
But I barely use the hampers. My washing machine in right next to the bathroom so as soon as I take kids' clothes off at the bath I throw it all into the washing machine. Same with me and DH. Except for delicate stuff which I wash separately-Everything else goes together. Of course if there are a bunch of towels I'll wash them together but otherwise everything goes into quickwash (30 min in my machine, cold water I believe) together. Never had issues so far.
I've had one or two items that seemed to me that could color other items so I made sure to wash them only with dark items - but that hasn't happned in a while . And I don't see another reason to seperate colors otherwise.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:09 pm
12 kids 2 adults I have 4 hampers in bathroom - white dark towels delicate. every day I do one dark with kids school clothes and any other dark and another load of something else. I put everything in dryer besides white shirts and delicates I hang. try to fold and put away as it comes out but don't always get to it so sometimes I'm left with a few loads to fold at once but kids usually help with that.

lfab

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:14 pm
2 adult, 4 kids. 2 hampers in our bedroom (one for lights and one for darks). 1 large hamper in one out of the 2 kids rooms. As their hamper fills up I sort it into the hampers in our bedroom. I generally aim to do laundry all on Motzie shabbos and Sunday. Occasionally, if we have something else to do that day or if there is a reason there is extra laundry I'll do a load or 2 during the week. Towels and linens are done separately. Towels every week, linens every other week (usually). Don't have separate hampers for linens and towels. Linens generally go from bed to machine back to bed. Towels I'll just place in a laundry basket near the machine until Sunday when I was them. After all the laundry is done I sort it into separte baskets for each person then fold and put away (usually Sunday evening with anything there isn't time to finish done on Monday evening).

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:30 pm
I have one big hamper in my bathroom near the bedrooms. I take it down to wash four times a week. The towels go straight downstairs so it doesn't fill up the hamper. I wish I'd have a big 3 sectional hamper but no room for it.

farm

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:46 pm
Three hampers so everything is sorted as soon as it come off (seems inefficient to sort later). I do darks 2x per week, whites and lights every other week. Linen and towels basically go straight into the machine bypassing hampers. Everything washed as hot as possible, Clorox with the whites, most things hung to dry. Ironing once per week. And the dark colors most definitely have run if they are mixed with lights and washed with the hot cycle the lights get- surprised you get away with that Sequoia.

farm

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:48 pm
And I never understood families where kids each do their own- what a waste of water, gas, electricity, and detergent!

curlyhead

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 3:13 pm
I have a large family. I try to do 2 loads a day based on whatever is most urgent. Sunday I do kids bedrooms. Monday normally my bedroom and whites and then whatever is needed. I keep the hampers in bedrooms and towels and shmattas in laundry room.
I am horrible about folding. Normally gets dumped onto the couch and is put away before shabbos. Sometimes I'll fold and put away during the week esp if my bedroom or towel load which is easy.

blossoming

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 3:29 pm
On Sunday. It's right after Shabbos, just the right time to wash out stainy shabbos clothing before they set in.

Only Sunday do I do ALL my loads. I begin in the morning, and put in:

1 white wash
1 light wash
1 colored clothes
1 black clothes
1 dh shirts
1 delicate

I work from home so I'm able to be on top of the loads. We have a long bedtime session while I fold everything. By Monday morning, it is usually all put away, and I don't have to deal with matching socks and searching for clean undershirts in the dryer till the following Sunday next week.

The linen and towels I do on a random day, as long as its not dealing with the actual mountain of the many different types of clothes which I feel just never ends.

I also make sure to stock up on 10 pairs of undies, shirts, skirts, pants, & socks for each so no one runs out. Even of my budget only allows me hand-me-downs to last a week, it is ever so worth it for me.

Go Sunday!!

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 3:48 pm
Ok, I'm embarrassed so this has to be anon. What exactly is "delicates?" I always assumed that meant lingerie and stockings, but if everyone has a whole laundry section for "delicates" I obviously don't know what the term means.

And also, what do you all mean by "lights?" I have whites and everything else- you're saying I should have a third in-between color to wash separately??

pause

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, I'm embarrassed so this has to be anon. What exactly is "delicates?" I always assumed that meant lingerie and stockings, but if everyone has a whole laundry section for "delicates" I obviously don't know what the term means.

And also, what do you all mean by "lights?" I have whites and everything else- you're saying I should have a third in-between color to wash separately??

I wash my daughter's pastel pink sweater separately from my son's dark navy pants. The pastel pink sweater is "lights."

Delicates refers to lingerie and stockings but also any material that doesn't handle the vigorous cycle so well like a knit or chiffon. I also wash some "Dry Clean Only" clothing like black dressy skirt on a cold delicate load and then hang to dry.

yksraya

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 3:58 pm
Delicates basically means when the fabric is too delicate for a reg cycle. The maschine has a delicates option that doesn't wash it as intensely.

I wash shabbos robes on that cycle.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 4:10 pm
delicates - most of our shabbos clothing. Boys shabbos trousers. Shabbos skirts and dresses. bras. (I don't handwash them) Lots of my tops.

The delicate cycle on my new machine is useless so I wash on the synthetics cycle. (my machine has about 20 different settings - denim, dark clothes, cotton, bedding etc.)

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 4:17 pm
One hamper in the bathroom. I wash every night 2 loads so I basically just sort it straight from the hamper. Have large family k"h so if one day we skip it's overwhelming.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry