Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby won't nap and won't keep in a pacifier.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 8:04 pm
My baby is 8 weeks and he isn't sleeping for more than 20 minutes at a time during the day and getting him to fall asleep is impossible. I can't let him fall asleep while eating because he needs to burn and then burping wakes him up and he won't go to sleep. I'm trying to get him to take a pacifier but he has a hard time keeping it in his mouth.
Any advice or sympathy from all you experienced mothers.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 8:21 pm
Gently hold his cheeks and go in a circular motion until he keeps pacifier in his mouth. THere are children who don't take pacifiers. Also, does your baby sleep on stomach? He may be more comfortable. Maybe something is bothering him. Hungrier than you think, gassy, stomach hurts. If this is a sudden situation, I would assume something is bothering your baby.

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 10:14 pm
Your baby might be hungry.

Also, I don't know if others will recommend this, but I burp my baby after the first side, and don't burp him after the second side after he falls asleep. He sleeps on his stomach, so if he needs to, he burps in his sleep.

Re the pacifier - try every company in the pharmacy. Give when baby is in a good mood to get him used to it. Many babies like the gumdrop one that they give in the hospital.
http://www.diapers.com/p/first.....a_kw={keyword}#

My babies like the MAM or the NUK. Make sure you buy the smallest newborn size.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 11:27 pm
I had that with DD, too. It was SO hard! Hug

If he's burping a lot, he may be reacting to something you're eating. See if you can narrow down your diet and find out if it's related to anything.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 8:46 am
My baby is on formula so I don't think he's hungry. I'm giving 4 oz every 3 hours which the doctor said is pretty much the maximum he should be getting. He sleeps on his stomach and sleeps ok at night it's just during the day that's a problem.
I specifically kept the pacifier away when he was born and now I regret it because he really needs it.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 3:33 am
bump. 9 week old baby and really frustrated. He used to be really decent napper but suddenly he knows when it's sleepy time and puts up such a fight! I feed him for 20 minutes until his eyelids are dropping, then put him in stroller bassinet. He immediately wakes and starts fussing, so I give him pacifier. He spits it out and then cries for it again (like 100x!!) I have been rocking him for 2+ hours now and he keeps nodding off but then shaking himself awake again. He is swaddled, burped, clean diaper....I am getting rather impatient as I desperately need a nap as well, being that he does this at night too! I've hardly had a chance to get dressed, been tending to him for 4 hours, I want to eat breakfast...have a minute to myself. HELP!

sprayonlove

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 4:29 am
amother wrote:
bump. 9 week old baby and really frustrated. He used to be really decent napper but suddenly he knows when it's sleepy time and puts up such a fight! I feed him for 20 minutes until his eyelids are dropping, then put him in stroller bassinet. He immediately wakes and starts fussing, so I give him pacifier. He spits it out and then cries for it again (like 100x!!) I have been rocking him for 2+ hours now and he keeps nodding off but then shaking himself awake again. He is swaddled, burped, clean diaper....I am getting rather impatient as I desperately need a nap as well, being that he does this at night too! I've hardly had a chance to get dressed, been tending to him for 4 hours, I want to eat breakfast...have a minute to myself. HELP!

Have you tried putting him to sleep on his stomach?

justforfun87

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 5:31 am
If you both need a nap lie down next to him in the crook of your arm while nursing, no way he won't fall asleep that way.

hila

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 6:50 am
Have you tried a baby carrier ? That calmed my kids, and gave me free hands to do almost everything else.

chani8

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 6:59 am
My goodness, let him fuss a bit. When you go to the bathroom you let him fuss, right? Dont you take a shower and let him cry then, too? Well, so now, do it when you need a nap. Let him fuss. Make him safe, and let him fuss. He.will.be.fine. Take your nap.

anonimouse

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 2:52 am
I can relate to this- my baby also won't take a pacifier and spends most of the day in my arms, too.

It's hard, but I'm probably a little calmer about it, because this isn't my first fussy baby, so I know that it won't go on forever.

Yes, I'm a little bit of a wreck now, but in a few months, my baby will be more mobile. It really does get better eventually.

I don't put my babies on their stomach to sleep, or leave them to cry unless I have to and some people say I'm crazy. This is the way I do it and I'm okay with it (most of the time), but you have to do what you need to stay sane.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics