Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey High Schools for Girls
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 8:02 am
Thank you so much. The lashon hara was hurtful, unnecessary and didn't even address the original question of the differences between the 3 original schools. Thanks for cleaning it up and getting us back on topic!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 8:13 am
amother wrote:
I went to BYR years ago and had a great experience.
Academics: I don't remember whether or not the Secular academics were challenging, but I did earn an advanced regents diploma and over 25 (or 30 don't remember) college credits. We also had the opportunity to take CLEPS and I think the AP history and math exams. My background in Limudei Kodesh exceeded that of my peers in seminary.

Social: Socially I had a great time at school and usually loved going. I keep up with a sizable portion of my high school class today. There was always something fun going on, between Rosh Chodesh, Shabbatons, random Kumzitses in the hallway etc... Although there was a focus on academics, girls who weren't academically inclined were still given opportunities to be recognized through extra curricular activities.

I have a relative who is there now, and from my understanding, the school has shifted somewhat to the right in recent years. There isn't the same mix of girls from different backgrounds as there was in the past and they seem to be more selective about who they accept. (I don't know this first hand, but just from what I have heard.) There is still the same warmth and closeness though.

Your social recap just put a smile on my face... especially the random kumzitses in the hallways. School life was so cozy and warm - I miss it!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 8:44 am
amother wrote:
What about socially? Are the girls lost in BYM if they didn't come from YSV? What about in BYR? Also, how many girls in either school really come from homes with TVs. Do people lie about it in either place?

I didn't come from YSV, nor did my sister, nor did my niece who switched from BYR to BYM, and we were not lost socially. Girls come to BYM from Bas Mikroh, from Chofetz Chaim, and from elsewhere here and there.

In terms of TV, I'm sure either school will have parents who don't disclose. I definitely had girls in my class whose parents had one in their bedroom, and for the most part they were not allowed to watch. I can think of about 5 girls in a class of 25, offhand, and there could've been more.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 12:47 pm
What are the approximate class sizes for each of the schools?

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 1:23 am
Bump

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 1:34 am
amother wrote:
What are the approximate class sizes for each of the schools?

BYDRH has about 20
BYR has about 30
I dont know about BYM

When I went to my interviews I asked each school questions specific to that school. I also spoke to teachers and parents that I knew in the school. This process helped me ultimately pick one school.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 12:32 am
Does anyone know if BYM girls come out with any college credits? If yes, how many can they get? What about BYR or Breuers?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 2:11 am
amother wrote:
Does anyone know if BYM girls come out with any college credits? If yes, how many can they get? What about BYR or Breuers?

Yes on all of them. Depending on the amount of work they put in can be 36+
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics