Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Livingston, NJ - Kushner School

coffeecup

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 11:26 am
Anyone live in Livingston and happy to share their thoughts and feelings about the community? Do you have an understanding of how this community compares to Bergen County (Teaneck, Fair Lawn, Englewood...)?

Also - what are your impressions of the Kushner School? Is there a nice mix of children? Involved, invested parents? Strong Jewish & secular education? Is it considered an impressive, high-ranking school?

TIA for any help!

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:35 pm
*now called golda och Academy FYI

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:57 pm
trixx wrote:

isn't that a different school?

mille

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:59 pm
trixx wrote:

Different school. Golda Ochs is the Solomon Schechter, in West Orange. Kushner is a different school, still definitely called Kushner!

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 4:10 pm
Are you referring to the special needs school

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:23 pm
I hope someone who actually sends their children to Kushner will chime in. I'm an hour away in central NJ, and quite a few families bus their kids to Kushner for high school and sometimes even for lower grades. Yes, it is considered a strong college prep school with all the usual AP classes and clubs. The school is MO and Zionist, but I am not sure of the details of the Judaic studies program. I have been to the building a few times and would say the facility is modern and in keeping with what you would expect in an upscale community.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:03 pm
The curriculum on their website seems quite impressive.

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:18 pm
You're right - got confused with schechter sorry

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:21 pm
Don't have kids there but know the area and visited once, about 10 years ago and also have family member that taught elementary for many years before retiring. So just impressions - Much more modern than Teaneck crowd. The admin may be orthodox but many of the students are modern or less. Co ed until and I think including middle school. Nice campus and building. Pretty solid day school education with emphasis on text based learning. Definitely a respectable elementary school to graduate from, don't remember if they have a high school but there are more frum options for that like bruriah for girls.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:23 pm
Excellent school - very strong academics in both limudei kodesh and general studies. Excellent and meaningful programming. Involved parents. Great teachers. Teach lots of skills. We love it! Have kids in lower school and middle school.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:48 pm
It's coed all through, no?

ROFL

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 7:35 pm
Coed school. High level both limudei kodesh and secular subjects. Very nice building. Have up to 12th grade. Kids mostly go to israel for gap year and all go to college ( Ivy League too)
Frum wise. Modern orthodox to a bit less but committed to Judaism.
Building is a beautiful environment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children