Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
DD is staying the same size for longer than I thought...

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:44 pm
DD was always a big baby. Once she got seriously moving, which was close to one, she atarted to grow into herself. Meaning, now she's long and lanky.

Considering she wore a Carter's 18 mos. (or 12-18 mos. or 18-24 mos. depending in other stores) starting around Shavous time, I decided to buy her winter wardrobe in size 24 mos.

It was a mistake. With the exception of sweaters and vests and a few misc. garments, most things are huge! They look ridiculous and aren't practical unless they are on top of layers b/c they are so baggy and don't stay on her waist or the neck is huge!

I couldn't return/exchange b/c I live in Israel. Now I am trying to figure out what to do. We have some 18 mos. stuff that works for now and the small amount of 24 mos. that's okay, but I feel like I'm always doing laundry and she rarely has a normal matching outfit. (I don't have a drier. Laundry is a big procedure.) It makes me happy when she looks reasonably good.

I just can't decide if I should spend more money and buy 18 mos. stuff. I have no clue how much longer she will wear it. But she seems so far away from the 24 mos. shirts and pants... I already spent so much on clothes this year too. (I hope they'll at least fit next winter.)

WWYD

cm

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:51 pm
I found that the 18-month size lasted a year, as did each toddler size. Kids are all different, of course, but this is when their rate of growth slows down and there is more of a difference in clothing sizes.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:56 pm
cm wrote:
I found that the 18-month size lasted a year, as did each toddler size. Kids are all different, of course, but this is when their rate of growth slows down and there is more of a difference in clothing sizes.

I guess that would mean that the 18 mos. stuff would stop fitting when she's 24 mos. Makes sense considering her weight is just about average for her age. In that case, that gives me a few months. (Once it's May-June, she's going to need summer clothes already.)

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 4:05 pm
That's interesting because my dd is only 20 months and her size 2t and 24 month stuff is fitting her perfectly now so I'm a little worried...will she be 3t for the spring?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
That's interesting because my dd is only 20 months and her size 2t and 24 month stuff is fitting her perfectly now so I'm a little worried...will she be 3t for the spring?

Can you look at her percentile and predict? If you can easily and inexpensively cheap, you could always buy and return if it doesn't fit.

My DD is 16 mos. It makes sense she wears 18 mos. I just have to stop my habits of buying big b/c she's slowed down.

zigi

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:28 pm
babies slow down after a year.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:56 am
I'm not worried about her weight. Tipat Chalav was, but I just ignored them b/c I know babies slow down. Our pediatrician is actually very happy with her weight. (She mentioned it randomly when I took DD when she got sick.)

It's more just changing shopping habits... Now my guess is 24 mos. for this summer b/c she'll be 24 mos.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 2:26 am
FYI: Carter's runs huge.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 3:02 am
5*Mom wrote:

I found they actually run true to size. My one child who was anywhere near the median height/weight in the tipat chlav charts usually wore Carter's sizes that matched her age.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 3:05 am
5*Mom wrote:

That's what I've decided... We have a few things from Old Navy and the 18-24 mos. stuff fits rather nicely!

Only, they are not always sized consistently. DD has a few 24 mos. things that are made small. It's annoying to not know what size to buy within the same store. Although, I'm happy b/c at least a few things fit b/c of this. Although, one of things is a sweatshirt and I wished there was more room b/c I often do layers.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 3:09 am
DrMom wrote:
I found they actually run true to size. My one child who was anywhere near the median height/weight in the tipat chlav charts usually wore Carter's sizes that matched her age.

I agree that they match the age for an average weight/height kid. They run big compared to other stores, not that their sizes don't make sense.

I was never able to use the age as a size for Carters b/c DD was in the upper 90s in percentile when she was little. Now she's pretty close to 50 at least for her weight. (Height I think she's more but hasn't been measured in awhile.) She's 16 mos. and a Carters 18 mos. is perfect for her.

aquad

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 12:13 pm
My 4MO is in Carter's 9 month old clothing. She's in the 80th percentile for height and weight, so go figure.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 12:44 pm
aquad wrote:
My 4MO is in Carter's 9 month old clothing. She's in the 80th percentile for height and weight, so go figure.

Mine also did! (Hence the fact that I buy big.) What was funny is that she's gained maybe 3 or 4 lbs. since she was 9 mos. old and now she's 16 mos.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
Can you look at her percentile and predict? If you can easily and inexpensively cheap, you could always buy and return if it doesn't fit.

My DD is 16 mos. It makes sense she wears 18 mos. I just have to stop my habits of buying big b/c she's slowed down.

Yeah she's in the 90th percentile for height and 75 for weight. So for us I don't find carters to run huge at all. I guess I was wondering if it's crazy for a 2.5 year old to be in 3t.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:16 pm
You need a library. A clothes library. Maybe some other mothers and you can pool your resources.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:
Yeah she's in the 90th percentile for height and 75 for weight. So for us I don't find carters to run huge at all. I guess I was wondering if it's crazy for a 2.5 year old to be in 3t.

I don't think so. I think it makes sense. She's tall!

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 7:15 pm
My 2.5 yo daughter is in size 3t &4t. Her 3t stuff is getting short. She was always a fat tall baby. She's not so chubby anymore. Still has her full chubby pinchable checks though Smile. She's tall kyh. Weighs 34 lbs.
The 4 t stuff fits nicely but most sleeves are long....
I got her some 5t stuff fir next winter. Some things can look nice even if they are a little bigger. Last year I got something in 3t for this winter (I like to buy in advance ends of season sale for the next year). But I tried it on and it fit her! I just have a hard time finding age appropriate stuff for her in the bigger sizes. Like last year I still wanted soft pinks. She was 16 months and wore 2t and 3t s. but the soft babyish stuff I liked was real expensive (think $70 for a tomboy for everyday)....
This year is easier.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 7:52 pm
I find it hard to buy clothes ahead of time for the next season. Each kid grows differently, and just when I think there is a pattern, it changes Tongue Out

smss

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
That's what I've decided... We have a few things from Old Navy and the 18-24 mos. stuff fits rather nicely!

And I think Old Navy runs small!
It's totally subjective, just depends on the size of your child...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics