Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Roasted Red Onion Flowers

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 11:30 am
These were so pretty and pretty simple to do. Smaller ones work for individual plates or large ones if you want to decorate a platter. They are also tasty because roasted onions become sweet.

This is the recipe I used but there are variants on the web. I will post a link to more extensive instructions if anyone is interested but it's one of those dishes that looks like a patchke but isn't. Of course, it's a bit more than simply dicing an onion but it definitely has a wow factor for a special occasion.

Red Onion Flowers

4 small red, yellow or Vidalia onions
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons capers, drained

Slice a bit off the root end, but leave the stem end intact. Slice into 8 sections to within 1/2" from root end. Drizzle with olive oil and add the balsamic vinegar, turn to coat thoroughly. Place in a baking dish and divide the remaining oil and vinegar over the onions, cover with foil. Bake 425 degrees, 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes. If necessary, pull the 'petals' apart a little after baking to make them more flower-like. Sprinkle with capers.

I used a Vidalia onion (because I have a basket of them, and no red onions.) The onion tasted tangy, sweet, and a little salty from the capers. Unless you detest capers, don't even be tempted to omit them. They add a whole new, unexpected, dimension of flavor

http://www.onceuponacuttingboa......html

happyfaces

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:44 pm
Very pretty. Thanks

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 10:22 am
Gorgeous. I told my girls we are totally doing this for our next Sheva Brochos.

But they want to know - what do you do with it? It's a forshpeis? With breadsticks or something?

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:20 am
Yes they are gorgeous and very easy to make really. They look as though they would be harder.

Not sure I understand your question. I served as a side with roasted chicken so people ate like a side veggie dish. When onion is roasted - especially with oil and balsamic vinegar, it becomes mellow and sweet.

Since onions are cheap (relatively) you could just use to decorate platters of what you are serving depending on your menu.

ETA if you were serving smoked fish, they would go well I think. Really anything that would taste well with some onion. Not sure how you would serve it in a buffet situation since a whole onion might be a bit much in that situation.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:50 am
These are stunning! Thanks for sharing!

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:51 am
Looks gorgeous!

mille

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:54 am
Roasted onions make a great side dish in general! I have made roasted onions as a side dish on Shabbat, and I NEVER have leftovers! This is just a really pretty way of doing it - next time I'll definitely try this method.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:59 am
mille wrote:
Roasted onions make a great side dish in general! I have made roasted onions as a side dish on Shabbat, and I NEVER have leftovers! This is just a really pretty way of doing it - next time I'll definitely try this method.

Yes. Exactly. The end result looks like it is much more work than it really is so its a relatively easy way to make a festive table.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics