Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Lakewood
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Emaplus4

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:05 pm
Thinking of moving to Lakewood from Brooklyn, as of now 4 schools for my boy's that I'm thinking about:

Bais Reuven Kamenitz

Yeshiva Kol Torah (we got an interview with them)

Yeshiva Orchos Chaim

Yeshiva Shaga Aryeh

What are the differences between them in student body (type of parents), level of yiddishkeit of the yeshiva & limudei kodesh, level of English and general studies.

Me and my husband did not come from a yeshivehs background but today I consider me and my husband yeshivehs and becoming more and more B"H.

At home no TV, no computer for my kids as of now, and almost no DVDs, my kids have 4 DVDs in total for long drives to visit family, my husband dose not flow sports (just not into it) and we don't let my kids play with all the action figures toys and all that, we are more the type to have the kids play out, ride a bike and do more outdoor activities then sits in front of a screen or tablet.

I'm a stay home mom for now and my husband works in Manhattan and learns at night for about 2 hours every day.

Thanks for your help

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:21 pm
Kaminetz is more yeshivish than the others you listed. The rest sound like good choices for you. They all have a nice parent body (mix of yeshivish to semi-yeshivish; mostly working parents and some learning.) They also have decent level of secular studies.

Seems like you are making sure you have a school for your boys before moving here. Good idea!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 1:30 pm
Bais Reuven Kamenitz - is the most yeshivish from the list. The others are also yeshivish, but this is more so.

Yeshivas Orchos Chaim - Translates chumash into English (only school on the list). A lot of working parents and a wealthy parent body (I send here and am thrilled, Secular education is fantastic, we are not wealthy at all and my kids are fine with no pressure, I think we are in the 'poorer' more yeshivish class, but don't know for sure. Principals are really amazing and warm).

Yeshiva Shaga Aryeh - Very warm school with great rabbaim. Only have male teachers in the schools

Yeshiva Kol Torah - I think this is a smaller school.

Good luck with your decision.

balibusta

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:03 pm
tashbar can also be an option for you

Emaplus4

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:

Yeshivas Orchos Chaim - Translates chumash into English (only school on the list). A lot of working parents and a wealthy parent body (I send here and am thrilled, Secular education is fantastic, we are not wealthy at all and my kids are fine with no pressure, I think we are in the 'poorer' more yeshivish class, but don't know for sure. Principals are really amazing and warm).

Well translatating Chumash into Yeddish I don’t know about that…. I mean I don’t mind my kids knowing Yiddish but Chumash in Yiddish I think will be a problem because we are not Ashkenaz we are Yemenite, and we are very into keeping the special minhagim and halacoths & pronunciation that we have, but yet be balance it nicely with the fact that we send our kids to Ashkenas schools.

I was born in Israel but group in Philadelphia from the age of 5 my husband was born in the US but moved to Israel at the age of 6 and came back to the US after high school/yeshiva in Israel.

My husband and I prefer Ashkenaz yeshivehs chinuch & haskafha And Yemenites are not Sephardim) since I and my husband went to Ashkenas schools and like the hashkafa

Last edited by Emaplus4 on Wed, Nov 25 2015, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 3:58 pm
I hate to burst your bubble

But, unless you are very very wealthy and well connected

Don't pick out 1 or 2 or 4 schools. Be open to accepting whoever will take you

Or be prepared for a lot of anguish

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 4:05 pm
Don't do this on your own, try calling askanim for help

Emaplus4

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 4:20 pm
Natural mom your not bursting my bubble. That's realty. Where every my children are suppose to be they will be there with or with out connection. I can only do my hashtadlut and yes we are also using an askanim. I don't get anguished from those kind of things but take it as a siman that my child doesn't need to be there.And it's like this in almost any private school or yeshiva. I went through applying schools in the past for my children and it was ok (not saying it was always a walk in the park) but I do appreciate all of your responses Very Happy

SingALong

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:12 pm
You mentioned your husband works in the city. Be aware that the commute is looong. I did it for 5 years and hated every minute of it. People do it but it's super draining. I know there's a kollel/minyan bus in the morning that many men take so that can make it a bit easier. Perhaps consider highland park or Passaic, as it is much closer to the city, much easier commute by train and 1/2 the time. Just imho...

Emaplus4

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:24 pm
Yes that ..he knows but he said he doesn't mind so much but he already commutes an 1 to work and in the summer even more since he bikes

Last edited by Emaplus4 on Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

Emaplus4

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:25 pm
And on top of that we drive a lot and long distances since my family lives in phila

studying_torah

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:44 pm
Op, the commute is min 2 hours, there were a lot of times it took my dh 3 hours each way on heavy traffic days.
It took a huge toll after so many years of doing it. There is no train, only bus and it's exhausting, especially in the heat or bad weather. Sometimes the bus got delayed, and dh waited an hour for the bus.

Emaplus4

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:44 pm
Can any one tell me more information on Yeshiva Kol Torah since we have interview with them and is Kol Torah is some what similar in all aspects to Yeshiva Orchos Chaim just smaller and newer?

Emaplus4

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:48 pm
My husband is thinking of either driving to pissac and taking a train to the city or just getting a smart car and just driving all the way to work

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:51 pm
Sharagas aryeh is a very yeshivish school and many fathers are still learning. Also they learn a lot in Yiddish.

Orchas Chaim seems the best for you because it's a very American school and has alot of Syrians in it. A lot of kids say Shabbat in that school vs. Shabbos.

Kol torah is similar to orchas Chaim and many kids that don't get into orchas Chaim go to kol Torah.

Emaplus4

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:10 pm
Thanks thats exactly what I wanted to know

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 7:58 pm
I heard kol torah has become more modern. I know ytt is trying to become frummer over past couple of years. Just moved to brand new building. There is a new school opening thats being run by someone from orchos chaim. Also there's benders school but hard to get into.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 8:07 pm
Rabbi Censor from Orchos Chaim who is opening up a school has been amazing to deal with. I would definitely look into his school (unless you need grades older then primary - I"m guessing he is just starting with primary)

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 8:11 pm
Orchos chaim and Shagas Aryeh are impossible to get into. Try Even Yisroel that's R' Zelingers school. He was a Rebbi in Orchos Chaim. Also, Ohr Yehuda (Benders school) is newer so might be easier than other schools. Kol Torah is more modern than Orchos chaim (from the families that I know that send there.). Tashbar might be an option for you. they don't do yiddish. there are 2 sefardi schools that might be easier since you said you're yeminite: Yagdil torah and Ohr Hachaim.

Emaplus4

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 9:39 am
I will try to look in to those scools but does anyone have rabbi censors number for the Ravs school.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating