Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Piecaken looks divine. Has anyone tried anything like it?

Mevater

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 5:56 pm

Piecaken seems to be the current fad. Its a baked pie, baked again in the center of a cake. So when you eat it, you get many textures. Im drooling... but its hours of work.

See below link for instructions.

http://www.vegwithanedge.com/2.....cake/

Brownie ingredient:

3 eggs
3/4 c granulated white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
8 Tbsp butter
3/4 c cocoa powder
1/4 c all purpose flour
2 Tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
Shortening

Pie crust ingredients:

1 1/4 c all purpose flour
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated white sugar
1/2 c shortening
1/4 c ice water
Additional shortening

Pie filling ingredients:

1 Tbsp butter
1/4 c granulated white sugar
1 egg
1/4 c agave
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 c walnuts

Cake ingredients:

1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 c coconut flour
1 c cocoa powder
1 c granulated white sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
4 oz 60% cacao baking chocolate
3/4 c decaf coffee
1 c milk
1/4 c agave
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1/4 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Ganache ingredients:

8 oz 60% cacao baking chocolate
1/2 c heavy cream
2 Tbsp agave
1/2 Tbsp shortening
1/4 tsp kosher salt

tweety1

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 6:04 pm
This looks DELICIOUS! My mouth's watering.

4eyes

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 8:03 pm
Just at a glance, you could make a very easy cheat version using boxes mixes and a storebought pie! I've also seen recipes where it's just the pie and cake without the brownie.

Somewhere I recently saw a triple decker version with three kinds of pie each baked In a Different kind of cake then layered together with frosting- not my cup of tea, but certainly creative!

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 5:14 am
It's hard to follow that recipe. I hate the blogger recipes where they have a zillion pictures and don't have the instructions in one place.

Rant over.

I think if you break down the steps, it's not particularly hard or time consuming to make because you are just essentially making a few different mixes and then combining them

There are recipes that are much more of a patchke that I've made like the Ebingers Blackout Cake. But this one has very basic steps and doesn't really take a long time to assemble or is tricky in any way.

I think from a cost benefit analysis it would be a good recipe to make. It's pretty simple when you analyze it and there isn't anything tricky that even a relatively inexperienced baker couldn't do so you are assured of a good result. And the applause of the eaters would make it worth what is really not much if an effort.

Dandelion1

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 5:39 am
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dz5MtModlDg

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 9:48 am
Amarante wrote:
I think from a cost benefit analysis it would be a good recipe to make. It's pretty simple when you analyze it and there isn't anything tricky that even a relatively inexperienced baker couldn't do so you are assured of a good result. And the applause of the eaters would make it worth what is really not much if an effort.

You live in New York? I have an idea- You bake it and Ill come over to eat and applaud. LOL

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 10:05 am
Mevater wrote:
You live in New York? I have an idea- You bake it and Ill come over to eat and applaud. LOL

Tongue Out Tongue Out I live in Los Angeles but I do like an appreciative audience because there are so many picky eaters here who are on one restricted diet or another. LOL

But in terms of recipes, this one isn't tricky or that time consuming. There is so much I avoid making because of the probability of failure like candy or stuff that depends on artistic ability like fancy decorated cakes but this one would seem to deliver a wow result disproportionate to the amount of time or effort.

Of course, it's relative because almost any home baked item requires a bit of time but this one doesn't seem crazy.

Now a TURDUCKEN is not something I would cook in a zillion years. LOL Cool

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 10:15 am
Sorry folks that whole pie in a cake thing doesn't work for me. I'm not thrilled with the pie filling and combining it with cake just doesn't work for my sweet tooth. I make a killer pie crust (thank you Julia) and it would be a shame to waste it by stuffing it in a cake.

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:34 am
Yeah, I'm thinking, pie or cake, pick one!

DD makes a fudge pie (brownie-like with molten chocolate inside) in a pie crust that is amazing though I don't eat it any more.

But this recipe seems like a ridiculous waste of time. Kind of like the rolled up potato kugel inside lukshen kugel that someone came up with in one of the mags. Oh please!

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 11:46 am
To all the Piecaken critics, watch Kelly of Kelly and Michael have a Piecaken-gasm.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins