Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
French POV on ADHD

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 2:31 am
http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/.....xist-

Quote:
At what point did boredom become a mental disorder? Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) seems to have become an epidemic in the United States, with roughly 19% of Americans diagnosed.

Meanwhile, in France, the diagnosis rate is only .5%. So what explains such a wide disparity?

Well, first and foremost, one must recognize that ADHD is an extremely questionable "disorder." A few decades ago, ADHD would have just been called "boredom."

In fact, even Dr. Edward C. Hamlyn of the Royal College of General Practitioners stated, "ADHD is fraud intended to justify starting children on a life of drug addiction."

Confessing before his death, Leon Eisenberg—one of the "founding fathers" of ADHD as a psychiatric disorder—said, "ADHD is a prime example of a fictitious disease."

In France, there are numerous cultural differences compared to the U.S. Generally, the French discourage the consumption of chemical/processed foods much more than in America. This is especially true for children in school, who often eat meals that are prepared by chefs-in-training using ingredients from local produce and livestock.

With all the high fructose corn syrup, GMO foods, stimulants, allergens, etc. in our children's diets, no wonder they cannot focus or stay calm. Plus they are children!

Children naturally tend to be active and energetic, which is why constraining them to an assigned seat in a prison-like classroom provokes misbehavior.

Do schoolchildren have a "deficit in attention", or are they just bored out of their minds?

When you cannot pay attention to a boring film, do you assume it is because you have a mental disorder that inhibits your ability to focus?

Of course not!

You walk out of the theater and demand a refund!

Instead of questioning what we feed our kids or the schools we put them in, our default assumption is that there's something inherently wrong with our children.

This mentality not only justifies poor dieting and schooling environments, but it also defends the mainstream pharmaceutical industry that profits from selling "treatments" for what are often overblown or overdiagnosed mental "disorders."

Contrarily, in France, ADHD is preferably treated with socializing and talk therapy, rather than harmful chemicals that come with numerous side-effects and create addictions. As Paul Fassa of RealFarmacy.com describes it:

"Psychiatrists traded in their note pads used in talk therapy for prescription pads as their professional stature diminished a few decades ago…So then psychiatrists could have patients visit for 15 minutes then prescribe them pharmaceuticals."

Even more disturbing is the fact that Ritalin is a stimulant that is chemically similar to cocaine in molecular structure. We "stimulate" kids with "stimulants" because school is not "stimulating" enough for them.

While the "war on drugs" targets non-violent pot smokers, it completely ignores the toxic, and unnecessary drugs pushed onto children by Big Pharma.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 7:34 am
I think the author has a point regarding not calling boredom a disease and that psychiatrists have become pill pushers.

The only thing I disagree with is that ADHD is not just a fancy term for a kid with ants in his pants. The people I know with this problem cannot hold on to possessions, don't remember number lock combinations, can't "get their act together" in numerous areas, have poor time management skills, poor time estimation skills, no filter on their thoughts and words...

These kids can definitely benefit from talk therapy and skills training, but meds may be just what they need. Or tons of coffee. Sad

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 11:28 am
I'll be bashed, but...

First, unfortunately, our numbers are skyrocketting - though still much lower But ritalin is in...

Second, meals cooked by chef in training? lol... lol... yeah maybe the experimental posh schools in some districts of Paris... I find the meal hardly edible in many schools.

French and generally Euros label less, "diagnose" less, bring their kids to a shrink only in last resort, and are way UNDERdiagnosed for any mental. We are also very late on these diseases... so yeah, less overdiagnosing, but many suffer in silence. The shovav will get punish, kicked out of class... not sent to talk therapy Wink

As a teacher myself, I've tried to raise awareness but to no avail, mostly

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 11:35 am
youngishbear wrote:
I think the author has a point regarding not calling boredom a disease and that psychiatrists have become pill pushers.

The only thing I disagree with is that ADHD is not just a fancy term for a kid with ants in his pants. The people I know with this problem cannot hold on to possessions, don't remember number lock combinations, can't "get their act together" in numerous areas, have poor time management skills, poor time estimation skills, no filter on their thoughts and words...

These kids can definitely benefit from talk therapy and skills training, but meds may be just what they need. Or tons of coffee. Sad

I've seen this article floating around the internet and kept ignoring it. But today I actually opened the article and when I saw the percentages of ADHD in France, it caught my attention (pun!).

I am also very aware of what ADHD looks like. So what does this mean, these statistics . . . that France doesn't have kids with symptoms like the ones you described? Or that they ignore those symptoms?

youngishbear

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 11:37 am
chani8 wrote:
I've seen this article floating around the internet and kept ignoring it. But today I actually opened the article and when I saw the percentages of ADHD in France, it caught my attention (pun!).

I am also very aware of what ADHD looks like. So what does this mean, these statistics . . . that France doesn't have kids with symptoms like the ones you described? Or that they ignore those symptoms?

My point was, the article downplays ADHd into "boredom" when that is not what it is.

After that I kind of take the rest with a grain of salt.

Also, see Ruchel's post.

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 11:38 am
Ruchel wrote:
I'll be bashed, but...

First, unfortunately, our numbers are skyrocketting - though still much lower But ritalin is in...

Second, meals cooked by chef in training? lol... lol... yeah maybe the experimental posh schools in some districts of Paris... I find the meal hardly edible in many schools.

French and generally Euros label less, "diagnose" less, bring their kids to a shrink only in last resort, and are way UNDERdiagnosed for any mental. We are also very late on these diseases... so yeah, less overdiagnosing, but many suffer in silence. The shovav will get punish, kicked out of class... not sent to talk therapy Wink

As a teacher myself, I've tried to raise awareness but to no avail, mostly

Thank you, Ruchel, you answered my question, that you believe they ignore the symptoms. Your input was very much appreciated here!

Do kids not have to sit still in school in France??

return2You

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 11:52 am
Anyone who thinks adhd is about not being able to sit still in class or about being bored hasn't got the foggiest about this disorder!!

There are real, physical testing kids go through which clearly shows black and white how different the brain of a normal person looks versus one with ADHD

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:19 pm
What about the kids who CAN sit still, but can't pay attention? They have inattentive ADHD and almost always float under the radar. Teachers will comment things like "student doesn't participate" or "student has so much potential but needs to try harder" and a student like this will float undiagnosed through her school years because she sits quietly, only fails one or two subjects, does brilliantly in one or two subjects, and coasts by for the rest.

The child grows up, is always late for appointments, can't maintain a clutter-free environment, is always losing things, usually drops out of college, always feels overwhelmed, and when she finally goes to a talk therapist because she feels like her life is falling apart, and the therapist gently tells her it sounds like she has ADHD suddenly everything falls into place. Finally there's a concrete solution to her problems that have been going on for decades. If only she had gotten help earlier she would have graduated from college at 22 instead of 32...she wouldn't have felt like a failure for so many years...but better late than never.

morah

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:29 pm
Ruchel really got it right (of course). France has an unfortunate history of ignoring these kinds of things and then saying it's less prevalent there. They do the same thing with autism. The French claim they don't have as much autism, but really autistic kids are not having their needs met. My dad is French but has been practicing pediatrics in America for 30 years and he sees this cultural difference as well. America does tend to overtreat (and that's true of everything) but France often goes to the other extreme, especially when it comes to issues that are not entirely physical.

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:29 pm
About 12 years ago, when I was trying to find the right school for DS with ADHD, I spoke with a menahel from Europe who touted the "ADHD is boredom" theory, and said that if my DS went there, he would not need any other intervention or medication.

I walked out of there, and kept DS far away.

Return2you said it right.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 10:08 pm
Different ways of looking at the world would account for their low ADHD rate.

First of all, if you step into a classroom in France, you will notice a STARK difference when it comes to teacher expectations of respect. Students are expected to stand when any adult walks in. Students are expected to do the work. No excuses. No talking back. Failure to do so results in being kicked out.

When it comes to education, information is spoonfed but expected to be memorized. Tests are mostly in essay form. (usually involving ONE question who's answer should cover the ENTIRE chapter, almost verbatim)

This results in a large minority of high schoolers who cannot hack the typical school environment having the option to go to vocational school or regular school. Vocational schools are A LOT more common in France and are a legitimate choice for students who would probably be diagnosed with ADHD in the US

And for what it's worth, French kids eat WAY less processed foods and GMOs. which could also account for the disparity. But then that's just my Conspiracy Theory...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 5:28 am
chani8 wrote:
Thank you, Ruchel, you answered my question, that you believe they ignore the symptoms. Your input was very much appreciated here!

Do kids not have to sit still in school in France??

Yes, it's very strict. Hence punishments, kick outs...

(I am generally a lot confused by articles on "France")

morah

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 6:37 am
Ruchel wrote:
Yes, it's very strict. Hence punishments, kick outs...

(I am generally a lot confused by articles on "France")

Because Americans are totally enthralled by France. Everything is about what the French do better. French women don't get fat. French parents do a better job. French kids don't get ADHD. As a half and half, I know and understand the cultural differences quite well. Each country has their different way and there are advantages and disadvantages, it's never as simple as those silly articles make it out to be. The French have their warts too. There's a reason my dad has stayed in his adopted country for over 30 years.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
What about the kids who CAN sit still, but can't pay attention? They have inattentive ADHD and almost always float under the radar. Teachers will comment things like "student doesn't participate" or "student has so much potential but needs to try harder" and a student like this will float undiagnosed through her school years because she sits quietly, only fails one or two subjects, does brilliantly in one or two subjects, and coasts by for the rest.

The child grows up, is always late for appointments, can't maintain a clutter-free environment, is always losing things, usually drops out of college, always feels overwhelmed, and when she finally goes to a talk therapist because she feels like her life is falling apart, and the therapist gently tells her it sounds like she has ADHD suddenly everything falls into place. Finally there's a concrete solution to her problems that have been going on for decades. If only she had gotten help earlier she would have graduated from college at 22 instead of 32...she wouldn't have felt like a failure for so many years...but better late than never.

Yep, that's me. Sad

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 7:04 am
amother wrote:
Yep, that's me. Sad

Me too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children