Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My son looks to break things

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 12:48 pm
My four year old son is always breaking things. Sometimes by accident, but quite often on purpose. Not so much out of anger but out of seemingly genuine curiosity and an enjoyment to take things apart.
I used to get quite upset but I feel like if I could give him an outlet where he could safely break and take apart - without destroying valuables in my home, that would be very helpful.
Any suggestions?

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 12:50 pm
How about building toys where he can build things and then break them? Blocks, Megabloks, Lego, K'nex, Magnatiles, Playstix, Lincoln Logs, etc.

Nicole

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 12:58 pm
My son takes part old cell phones, broken remote control cars etc

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 1:02 pm
My DD liked to deconstruct things, we'd give her dead radios (sans the plug) and some small applianes (no plugs) and she would take apart the motors and use the wires to make stuff.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 3:30 pm
So magnatiles and the like won't work for this-(he actually enjoys that but doesn't do it for too long) bec he enjoys to break real things. So many nice toys and items have parts missing-right after being bought-by his doing...I guess I could save old phones and the like...

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 6:22 am
I remember my brother doing that...it is their way of seeing how things work and eventually later on in life they actually know how to fix broken things or build things from scratch....just give him/her unusable stuff to break...

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 7:35 am
buy him this:

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-Cir.....cuits

you can get expansion packs when he gets bored of the circuits available in the original box.

also, give him an empty box. tell him that you will put any appliances/mechanical items that you no longer need in that box. that is his box of things to take apart. anything outside that box needs to stay in one piece until you decide it belongs in the box. and consider getting him a small set of tools (to be used under adult supervision only) to help him take those things apart.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics