Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Bullying in kindergarten??

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 6:42 am
DD is bli ayin hara very cute and loved by a lot of people. A girl in her gan is making faces at her all the time and not nice to her. Could she be jealous of DDS cuteness at this age? These are 4 year olds.

Bruria

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 11:09 am
Yep,jealousy can come in all ages, even in 4 year olds. Maybe you should bring it up to the morah so she can guide the other girl and maybe even alert this to her mother.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 11:28 am
I don't know if this is what is happening but I saw this when I worked in a early childhood class (4 year olds). I was the assistant and the "real morah" played favorites. I am serious- the other kids noticed and were resentful even if they couldn't express it. This morah gave her favorite extra snacks, lots of attention etc. yes, she was cute. (But that kid happened to also know it an expect to get away with trouble).

The other kids didn't want to play with "favorite girl" so it may have seemed like bullying but it was a reaction to the teacher.
See what goes on in the class and talk to the teacher. And ask any assistants! Not sure if I was brave enough then to speak my mind but I was also brand new. But we know what is going on...

israeli83

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 7:13 am
amother wrote:
I don't know if this is what is happening but I saw this when I worked in a early childhood class (4 year olds). I was the assistant and the "real morah" played favorites. I am serious- the other kids noticed and were resentful even if they couldn't express it. This morah gave her favorite extra snacks, lots of attention etc. yes, she was cute. (But that kid happened to also know it an expect to get away with trouble).

The other kids didn't want to play with "favorite girl" so it may have seemed like bullying but it was a reaction to the teacher.
See what goes on in the class and talk to the teacher. And ask any assistants! Not sure if I was brave enough then to speak my mind but I was also brand new. But we know what is going on...

This teacher was licensed? A teacher should know not to play favorites because kids can tell and become very jealous..I know this from experience. It's ok for a teacher to say how this girl is cute etc but not to show this infront of all of the kids and give her extra snacks as a result. This is just maddening!!!

5*Mom

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 7:58 am
The other little girl might be trying to initiate play but might simply be lacking in some social skills - a very common malady among 4-yr-olds. I would bring it to the attention of the ganenet so she can follow up appropriately for *both* girls' benefit. I would not use the word bullying; just relay the facts as you heard them.

Another possibility is that the girls have tussled over something - a doll or the pink chair, for example - in the past, and while your DD may have forgotten about it, this other girl has not. Here, too, a skilled ganenet might decide to work on conflict resolution, forgiveness and closure with the group. Don't jump to conclusions but do give the ganenet a head's up so she can observe and address the situation. It's a teachable moment.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 11:17 am
israeli83 wrote:
This teacher was licensed? A teacher should know not to play favorites because kids can tell and become very jealous..I know this from experience. It's ok for a teacher to say how this girl is cute etc but not to show this infront of all of the kids and give her extra snacks as a result. This is just maddening!!!

I have no idea licensing to be honest. This was years ago. First job and I was desperate. This teacher was "experienced" and after a few issues I went to the department head and was brushed off, just told to move classes. "But she's soooo experienced! She's been here forever! It's just her teaching style...". I felt bad for the kids but I couldn't take it. I felt bad for the kids when leaving (and the other assistant) but My mental health was important too. I was blamed for "incidents" when I was given a direct directions to do the opposite. Never told the head about the favoritism but yes, it was maddening. The other issues were way worse.
A kid fell playing and they had to call Hatzalah. (False alarm). I was blamed for not cleaning up. But you had me prepping for their next project then on the other side of the room, while you drank a coffee. And, this kid was a klutz (bumps into things a lot) and they were playing with the toys right then! What, I should trail after them and clean it up as they play? Be in two places at once? She was the teacher and should take responsibility for everything in the room. Other times she left me alone to watch 20 kindergarten kids alone. Me the newbie assistant. For over an hour. No "oh my, my daughter is in labor!" Or other emergency. Just calmly left and didn't return for over an hour. Department head did nothing.
That's why I always question the teacher and what happens in schoo. Especially when your child is facing something weird, is accused of something out of the norm etc. one bad apple spoils them all.

I will never send my kid to that prominent yeshiva.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers