Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chanukah Tip/gift for teachers

GAP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 1:43 am
Do you tip teachers for Chanukah ? How much is the norm?

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 4:13 am
The PTA takes up a collection. Happy about that because I don't want the headache, I'd rather just pay whatever they're asking which IIRC was something like $20 per child but I don't remember for sure.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 11:28 am
One school asked for $36 per child, to be pooled among their teachers. The other school hasn't asked for anything so I guess at that school families do their own thing (or not).

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 10:48 am
Don't give don't get

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:56 pm
Those amounts are crazy! Imagine if you have multiple kids in school! If I were getting tuition reduction (a possibility soon...) I would feel terrible not contributing but that extra money should go to the school. If I were to accept a scholarship, that would mean that extra "tip" means we might lack something basic...

Does everyone's names get on the list or is it "from your students"?

lfab

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:08 pm
My older children's school asks for $25 if you have 1 child in the school, $20 each if you have more than 1 and not more than $60 per family (for those that have 4 or more in the school). In preschool they usually ask for $20 to be divided between the morah and an assistant. It is a lot and it does add up but I know it's coming and try to plan for it (same way I set aside some money for chanuka gifts). If you feel it's too much and you can't give then don't and just write a nice note (and maybe give something small or homemade cookies packaged nicely to go with it). If it's a group collection, and your not too embarressed, let them know that you would love to contribute but right now are only in the position to give X amount.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics