Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Which brand has the best laptops?
Previous  1  2

Which is the best laptop brand?
Lenovo (Thinkpad/ideapad/yoga - specify in comment)  
 8%  [ 4 ]
Dell (Inspiron)  
 27%  [ 13 ]
HP (Pavilion)  
 19%  [ 9 ]
HP (Envy)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Toshiba (satellite)  
 10%  [ 5 ]
Other  
 34%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 47

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 3:30 pm
Dh says every one has bloatware and spam. You need to take it off.

He says this is a steal and you should grab it.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/.....duid=(083a1e375c5cd20d3eb7fa1fb8209879)(256380)(2459594)(XDbotxbyEF4-KV3tJgvwlEsiUSVGtpUKiw)()

Good luck and good Shabbos!

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 3:55 pm
I was kind of hoping for something smaller and lighter with an SSD but I think at this point that's just wishful thinking.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 27 2015, 3:59 pm
The lenovo one on ebay is smaller, lighter, and has SSD for just $60 more but it's from an online reseller that is not going to have a good return policy if I change my mind or find something better.... so I'm having a hard time jumping on that.

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 6:48 pm
So the Acer with the nice specs is back in stock and still $500, and the Lenovo is still available for $460. Both have SSD, fairly lightweight, similar size. The Lenovo is a bigger markdown so presumably worth more for some good reason, but the Acer has a touchscreen. Both are more than I wanted to spend but for SSD and small/light may be worth it.

So I think I'll sit and think about this until they go out of stock again.

esther11

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:26 pm
Not acer!!! We bought a $500 one last year cyber Monday, and it keeps freezing and the mousepad doesn't work right. We tried returning it within n a couple months and the customer service was terrible and they refused any sort of refund. We ended up keeping it, it's a year old now and runs terribly, even after having it checked out by various it guys
Aside from bad quality was bad service so I say avoid at all costs

magenta

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 8:31 pm
Zulily has Dell Inspiron laptops today. It links to another site. I don't know any details. But it might be interesting for you.

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 8:34 pm
esther11, where did you buy the acer? was the bad service from acer themselves or from the place you bought it?

STMommy

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 10:38 pm
I'm on an ACER v5 right now. Very happy with it.

treestump

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 4:13 am
I'm also looking for a cheap yet decent laptop.
But all the cheap ones I found were clunky, ugly and had slow processors. (Intel Atom, Pentium, etc..)

If anyone sees any cheap (under $400), decent laptops that actually look nice, for Cyber Monday or whatever, please post a link! Thank you.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 4:22 am
I am pretty sure I saw some that were clunky, possibly ugly, but did not have slow processors. Look at the cyber monday ads.

I got to browsing too much and am now lured by options above my price range. Sigh. Really good deals, just more than I was hoping to spend.
This one isn't that much more. I don't really need the shticky hinges but I hope they can't hurt?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014X.....86XE7
Amazing for the price, and $200 less than usual, but still quite far above my $500 target. But SO thin and light, 256gb SSD with 8gb ram and a fairly recent i5 processor, with touch screen anti-glare IPS screen... drool!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013K.....4UAUI

I should probably just forget about the thin-and-light lure and go back to the 15" deals. There is a LOT more selection at much lower prices in that size. Anyway my laptop spends most of its time on my counter. Though I keep thinking it doesn't really have to. I think my current screen is 14" and I'm comfortable with that, so 15.6" feels humongous to me. Not sure if 13 would be small. I actually ventured into Best Buy on friday (I know! But I was waiting for a bus right in front of one and the bus wasn't about to come yet...!) but I didn't see any of the models I was considering on display, so I wasn't really able to get a feel for anything. Just that the choices there seemed to be heavy, expensive, or tiny.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 4:39 am
I've wasted lots of money on Acers and Toshibas. They don't last long. Like many of the PPs, I'm a Mac convert: you can get an 11" Mac Air Book for $899 and a 13" one for $999. Only 4 G memory and only i5, but you're comparing apples (no pun intended) to oranges: a Mac with those specs runs much better than another machine with 8 G and i7.

If your budget will absolutely not allow for a Mac, go with HP or Dell, which in recent years have been rated much higher than Lenovo, Sony, Asus, Toshiba, or Acer. I would not touch any of those.

treestump

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 4:50 am
I've actually heard a lot of complaints w the Mac Airs... They're portable, but only fast with very light programs.
I've worked with both PCs and Macs and it's true you can't compare them (it's like comparing a Ford to a Lexus...), but on the other hand, you can't compare the price...
I was actually considering getting a refurbished Macbook Pro... But even those are so expensive. Do you know anywhere legit which sells a decent 13" for less than $1000?

return2You

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:48 am
We bought a Lenovo think pad a year ago, it's been giving us nothing but trouble. very buggy. Completely crashed twice, had to send to company to refurbish it. Stay away from Lenovo!

ldg

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 10:22 am
We didn't like our acer either. It felt very slow after our hp.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 10:28 am
Tech blog ratings never seem quite identical to regular-people ratings, but I did find this and it actually corroborates most of what people are saying here:
http://www.laptopmag.com/artic.....tings

According to them, Acer has always been at the bottom, Lenovo was consistently 2nd place behind Apple in the past but this year dropped like a rock which seems odd, and Asus has had ups and downs. Dell used to be crummy but has been climbing steadily and is now in 3rd place, so I don't know what that means, and HP has pretty consistently been right behind them (except in Asus's heyday - 2013-2014 they ranked even above HP which makes it especially sad that they are so low right now) Toshiba also not promising at all.

I'm really not interested in becoming a Mac convert at this time.

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 12:47 pm
macbook pro is great, but really expensive.
I just got the Asus rog gl552 for $950. regularly, its 1099. Is has great specs. Its a 15" laptop with intel i7 2.6 ghz quad core processers. It has an ips display and an nvidia geoforce gtx graphics card. theres an m2 slot to put in an ssd, or you can replace the hard drive with a regular ssd. Its an amazing price for these specs...

anonimouse

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 9:23 am
We got two hps last year and we're pretty happy with them. One is around the size you're looking for-
mine was about 400 dollars then and has a touchscreen. It was a little slow at first- 4 gigs, I ended up buying an 8 GB smemory stick for about 50 dollars and it's great now. Apparently the touch screen is a memory hog. Similar usage to you- I can have over 100 tabs open at once, but nothing very intense program-wise
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars