Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Gluten Free Cholent

anonymrs

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 8:13 am
Does anyone have a recipe for gluten free cholent?

Thanks a bunch!

SS6099

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 8:17 am
Hiya Smile I've substituted brown rice for the barley, and had rave reviews! Or even brown rice pasta, more for a stew/chili texture. The first option was way better.
The rest of the ingredients are the same, I.e. Beans, potatoes, etc...

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 8:21 am
SS6099 wrote:
Hiya Smile I've substituted brown rice for the barley, and had rave reviews! Or even brown rice pasta, more for a stew/chili texture. The first option was way better.
The rest of the ingredients are the same, I.e. Beans, potatoes, etc...

Ditto.

Just put in brown rice and make it the exact same way you always have. And it's even a bit lighter and easier on the stomach especially if you don't overdo it with the beans.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 8:45 am
I've also had cholent based on butternut squash, with onions, squash and (lots of) meat sauteed together and simmering for a while on the stovetop, then transferred to the crockpot with a few cups of water before Shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 8:55 am
Yes brown rice. Make sure it's short grain brown rice for best texture compared to barley.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 9:43 am
This is my recipe for gluten free, vegetarian chili that would work well as a chulent. The consistency is very good. Obviously, you can add less beans & real meat.

http://www.cookingmanager.com/.....stew/

Also, you can try experimenting with shredded potatoes replacing barley.

Also- if it needs to be gluten free, soysauce has wheat in it, so use pesachdic soy sauce if you need it in your chulent. & check the ingredients on other sauces.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 10:44 am
I made it once with quinoa in place of barley for a celiac guest. It had a different texture, but he liked it.

SorGold

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 10:54 am
We get rave reviews over our cholent made with basmati rice... everything else is the same.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 1:20 pm
SorGold wrote:
We get rave reviews over our cholent made with basmati rice... everything else is the same.

Me too! I actually like to use brown rice too.
I am known to be a good cook in general and always known to have best chulent by all the bochurim. Then I stopped putting in beans and they still liked it. Then I had a guest over quite often who was gluten free so decided to try rice one week. Ever since we've been doing it gluten free for our guest and everyone else can't tell until we tell them.
The trick is to cook it for a really really long time. I put it on low in my crockpot and put up early Thursday evening.
Put rice and mix with spices. Add in potatoes, meat, onions, fresh garlic and lots and lots of salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and be generous with the water. I realized it's not as good when we add water before shabbos. Rather cook from the start with too much water than to have to add water. Throw in an extra piece of meat and will be even better!
Enjoy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note