Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Cholent alternative

loveit

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 4:05 pm
Any suggestions for a main dish to make is the crockpot to see for shabbos lunch? As the title indicates, looking for a noncholent recipe.

It's just my family this shabbos and we never really eat enough cholent to make it worth without guests.

Thanks!

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 4:08 pm
I made bbq beef this past week it was so yummy. I took a small chuck roast that I had in the freezer, a box of mushrooms (optional) and equal parts bbq sauce and water. At lunch time I pulled it with two forks and served it with buns. The leftovers made a great dinner Monday.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 4:10 pm
Goulash or any other form of beef stew.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 4:18 pm
DH "hates cholent". All I have to do is not make it with beans, add some middle eastern spices, and serve it with couscous or dafina. As long as I call it hamim, soup, stew, goulash, or anything else, he LOVES it!

All you have to do is change a few things around, and whatever you do, DON'T call it cholent!

(Oh, and he hates all veggies except potatoes. Steam a bunch of healthy veggies, and puree until completely smooth. Stir into the soup, broth, gravy, whatever, for some "stealth vitamins".)

Simple1

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 4:24 pm
Bag of raw chick peas with water and seasoning as needed. You can add cholent meat, onions and/or potatoes.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 4:26 pm
Yeah, beef stew. You can do a fancy one with wine and sweet potatoes, or else a hearty potato/carrot/tomato southern-style one - let me know if you want recipes.

spring13

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 4:52 pm
Mushroom barley soup

cbg

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 5:58 pm
You can make roast chicken in the crockpot.
It comes out super moist
Take a whole chicken clean and season as you like.
Take 2 or more large potatoes, keep whole, wash well and place them on the bottom of the crockpot. Place chicken on top of the potatoes so that the chicken is elevated away from the drippings, this way it will roast.
You can add carrots, or their root veggies around the chicken if you like.
When you serve, slice the potatoes and spoon a little bit of the drippings on top.

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 6:02 pm
Sometimes I make Gondy. It is chicken/ turkey or meatballs in a chicken broth. I make it ahead of time, and then put it in the crockpot on Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDF4mRsEYcE

thanks

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 7:27 pm
I make "Irish Chulent". Corn beef, sour kraut and potatoes.

mommyofboygirls

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 3:06 am
I've been making chili every shabbos for a few weeks now because I'm so tired of cholent one week, dafina the next week. I finally found a great chili recipe. It is vegetarian but really really great. I had to make a few changes because the recipe asks you to source your own dried chiles and grind them...nope, don't have time for that.

Here is the recipe link: http://www.seriouseats.com/rec......html

Here is my crock pot recipe with the changes made. It is spicy with the 1 tsp cayenne, but my toddlers ate it with challah with no problem.

2 whole chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped, with 2 tablespoons sauce from can
2 (14-ounce) cans chickpeas
5 shiitake mushrooms, fresh or dried (rehydrated)--can omit mushrooms if needed
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes packed in juice, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane grater
1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin (whole seeds, not ground. I found ground can make it bitter)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon red miso (I do not want to buy marmite/vegemite for one recipe and is it even kosher?)
2 (14-ounce) cans dark red kidney beans with the liquid
2 tablespoons vodka or bourbon
Kosher salt

Saute onion in oil until soft but not brown. Add garlic, cayenne, cumin, oregano, soy sauce, and saute for 30 seconds. Put in crock pot. Pulse the chickpeas a few times in the food processor so they are roughly chopped (like the orginal recipe says, 3 1-second pulses should do it). Put in crock pot. Pulse the shiitake mushrooms in the same manner. Add to crock pot. Add everything else to crock pot. Yum. (the tomatoes should be added with the juice. Roughly chop them or break them apart in your hand to save the mess on the cutting board. The whole tomatoes don't have the additive that diced tomatoes do that keep them so firm, and the chili has a better texture from using the whole chopped tomatoes).

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 5:03 am
Stir fry vegetables with meat / chicken / tofu.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:12 pm
We do stuffed vegetables (mahasha) in a crockpot. To avoid drying out, I cut out a waxed paper to fit snugly and cover the surface. No need to precook but you need to pre-soak the rice (some people parboil rice) in the rice-meat mixture.

Another one that's popular is Tebeet, which is slow cooked chicken stuffed/surrounded by rice. It has a bit of tomato flavour and very nice sweet spice which includes cinnamon, ginger, allspice, paprika. You can make with either a small whole roaster or cut pieces. It's usually cooked with eggs in shell.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:14 pm
loveit wrote:
Any suggestions for a main dish to make is the crockpot to see for shabbos lunch? As the title indicates, looking for a noncholent recipe.

It's just my family this shabbos and we never really eat enough cholent to make it worth without guests.

Thanks!

I make vegetable soup

nicole81

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:28 pm
you can make meat sauce in the crockpot and serve it over some sort of pasta.

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:33 pm
I make a tzimmes most weeks - carrots cut in about 1 inch pieces, a sweet potato or two, sometimes I'll throw in a white potato.

Honey or maple syrup, and any combination of cinnamon, cloves, ginger and allspice.

I've tried with fried onions but it doesn't work as well.
(Anon bec e/o who knows me knows my tzimmes!)

November

Post Sat, Nov 28 2015, 7:40 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
We do stuffed vegetables (mahasha) in a crockpot. To avoid drying out, I cut out a waxed paper to fit snugly and cover the surface. No need to precook but you need to pre-soak the rice (some people parboil rice) in the rice-meat mixture.

Another one that's popular is Tebeet, which is slow cooked chicken stuffed/surrounded by rice. It has a bit of tomato flavour and very nice sweet spice which includes cinnamon, ginger, allspice, paprika. You can make with either a small whole roaster or cut pieces. It's usually cooked with eggs in shell.

I'd love these recipes- my daughter has been wanting me to make stuffed peppers. I'd love to get a crockpot recipe.

SacN

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 5:08 am
I use the Moroccan Chicken recipe from Joy of Kosher, a bit adapted for my tastes
I put potatos under a whole cut chicken, add (from memory) honey, tumeric, cumin, cinnamon, a whole packet of cilantro. Garlic, onion.

Think thats it. It's our favorite shabbos lunch meal.

giselle

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 1:41 pm
Mrs Bissli id also love those recipes if you can share... Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note