Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why does everyone stare

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:00 am
I went to a wedding earlier with an above the knee cast and crutches. Why did everyone stare at me. Is it so funny to see a person with a cast and crutches.

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:08 am
It is significantly more unusual to see someone in a cast & crutches than to see someone NOT in a cast and crutches, so it makes sense that people may do a double-take. Outright staring is rude, though (although understandable with very small children).

Also, I have noticed that in some communities staring at anything even remotely unusual is very common. Not sure if that applies to your situation.

Lastly, it sounds like you are very self-conscious. Try to let it go.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:10 am
Could it be all in your head? You seem completely self absorbed and smitten with your cast.

(Where's oliveoil when you need her??)

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:18 am
I hope you never have to have a cast or crutches. However, it's not as easy as if looks.

happyfaces

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:22 am
Its not very nice to stare. Try asking can I help you?

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:43 am
Just human nature. There, there.

Refuah Shleima.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 2:51 am
Everyone stared at my late DH because he was so tall. People stare at one of my children because of a birth defect and sometimes they point. When I was on crutches I was stared at. So what? Get over it. You will be off crutches soon and you won't be stared at. The starers will still be idiots and others will continue to be stared at their whole life.

fluffernutter

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 5:47 am
I had crutches when I broke my foot and I wanted to put quotes on it the crutches - like Ein Od Milvado, or Ivdu Es Hashem B'Simcha. People were staring anyway - they might as well get a reminder on the important things in life! Smile

bigblueyes

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 6:10 am
Its always uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of a stare.

Heyaaa

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:03 am
People are curious so they look up and then they forget they're still looking.

Today I was staring at a girls skirt for probably about 15 seconds. I didn't even realize I was doing it until I looked up and I saw she seemed uncomfortable. It was a cute skirt but I honestly had just been spacing out.

They're not thinking anything negative about you. They're probably thinking something like 'good for her that she handles those crutches like a pro. I wonder how long it would take me to get used to crutches'

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
I went to a wedding earlier with an above the knee cast and crutches. Why did everyone stare at me. Is it so funny to see a person with a cast and crutches.

I'm wondering why you associate staring with funny. People look at things that are a little out of place. Most people at least glance, some stare. Why do you think they thought it was funny? Do you take a second look at someone who has something unusual about their appearance?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 4:48 pm
I know someone who walked their kalla to the chupa in a full length cast and a walking frame. She decorated the frame with the same flowers as the kalla's bouquet and wrapped cream ribbon to make it pretty. She got her cast changed the day before to make sure it was as clean and discreet as possiblepossible and got a new outfit with a long flowy skirt to cover it. She practiced walking holding a candle but in the end one of the grandchildren walked in front with candles instead.

All she got was admiring looks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics