Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel - WITH spoilers :) including season 3
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 75  76  77  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 4:40 pm
November wrote:
I agree with poster above who said that it's TV and the writers want to deal with the relationships and not necessarily all the details, halachic or otherwise.
I also love the Gitty flashbacks.
I don't really get what happened that ended Akiva and Libi. Did Libi choose him and her father said No? It really seemed like she was ready to deal with her feelings for Akiva and then she up and left.

Yes, it seems like she told her father that she wants to marry Akiva and he made her fly back the next morning. Remember, her father asked her if she just doesn't want to get married and she said, I do want to get married and I know who I want to marry. Then the scene ended.
The thing is that she never told Akiva that she told her father.

One similarity between Shulem and Nochum - they are both very controlling!

Sadie

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 4:57 pm
November wrote:
I agree with poster above who said that it's TV and the writers want to deal with the relationships and not necessarily all the details, halachic or otherwise.
I also love the Gitty flashbacks.
I don't really get what happened that ended Akiva and Libi. Did Libi choose him and her father said No? It really seemed like she was ready to deal with her feelings for Akiva and then she up and left.

Yeah Shulem spoke to his brother and proposed making a match since the kids seemed to click so well and Nuchem was disgusted by the idea and took Libi and moved them to a hotel, then back to wherever they were from (Belgium or Holland or something?) That showed Shulem's sensitive side but Nuchem has been pretty one-note so far.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:01 am
Quote:
Did Libi choose him and her father said No?
After she meets that 'other boy' again she tells her father she does not want to marry him, but she knows who she does want to marry. Scene ends. But clearly she said, I want to marry Akiva and Uncle Nuchem said, over my dead body.

Because the next thing (or so) is that she comes to tell Akiva they're going back to Belgium and she refuses to come in. Clearly she is too afraid to defy Papa.

Remember when Uncle Nuchem said he promised (Libi or her mother) that they're not going back without a date (presumably a wedding date)? So now he's decided it's too dangerous to stay in Akiva's vicinity.

Shulem's behaviour at the award ceremony was indeed appalling and, I thought, rather stereotypical of someone's idea of a chareidi shnorer?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:53 am
amother wrote:
Quote:
Did Libi choose him and her father said No?
After she meets that 'other boy' again she tells her father she does not want to marry him, but she knows who she does want to marry. Scene ends. But clearly she said, I want to marry Akiva and Uncle Nuchem said, over my dead body.

Because the next thing (or so) is that she comes to tell Akiva they're going back to Belgium and she refuses to come in. Clearly she is too afraid to defy Papa.

Remember when Uncle Nuchem said he promised (Libi or her mother) that they're not going back without a date (presumably a wedding date)? So now he's decided it's too dangerous to stay in Akiva's vicinity.

Shulem's behaviour at the award ceremony was indeed appalling and, I thought, rather stereotypical of someone's idea of a chareidi shnorer?

This show is amazing!! How would you diagnose Lipa Weiss?? Cant put my finger on what exactly his issues are.

November

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:08 am
From Season 2: Lipa's character- he certainly wants the best for himself and for his family, and he's willing to go behind his wife's back when he thinks it's for her or his children's good. That's something that makes him seem shady at times. He seems impulsive and can be taken in by a good deal if he thinks it'll be worth it in the long run. However he's also tender-hearted and caring.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 7:37 am
Someone on the other shtisel thread graciously shared a link to season 1. Its to a steeaming site with a million links. Choose gorillavid when they have it.
Happy watching!!

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 6:18 pm
Quote:
ETA: here is the other movie that she plays in - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt36.....=nm_knf_i2
Can someone please tell me if it's fairly clean? I have Amazon Prime but I'd rather not watch if I'm going to get pulled in to something....

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 9:00 pm
It is extremely clean but it is not on prime, I wish.

WastingTime

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 4:41 pm
Finally finished number 5 . This Ruchami thing is really bizarre. I know its not real and I don't know the halachas of kedushin etc but what were they thinking they'll have a platonic relationship?
And he has no family as mentioned?
Takes the show down a level when they put inan unrealistic story line that has many holes. Dissapointing.
And why does Ruchami need to burn herself too!

Shulem just has no tact. Always thinks he knows best, means well but doesn't get it across. ..

It almost felt like you were gonna see Giti and Lipa in bed together, wrong type of show LOL.
The glove scene was cute but they made it so overtly obvious that he would give the shomer the gloves.
Can't wait to see the next one....whoever sees episode 6 please post !

rainbow dash

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 7:21 pm
http://shtisel1-2.blogspot.co......l?m=1

November

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 7:46 pm
Thanks, Rainbow. Do you have a link for Season 1?

rainbow dash

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 7:49 pm
November wrote:
Thanks, Rainbow. Do you have a link for Season 1?

No I don't sorry

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 7:55 pm
November wrote:
From Season 2: Lipa's character- he certainly wants the best for himself and for his family, and he's willing to go behind his wife's back when he thinks it's for her or his children's good. That's something that makes him seem shady at times. He seems impulsive and can be taken in by a good deal if he thinks it'll be worth it in the long run. However he's also tender-hearted and caring.

Well, I admit I have only watched snippets here and there. My daughters are addicted and sometimes I get caught up in a scene. But from what I have seen, Lipa is an egotistical, slimy guy, who definitely knows how to manipulate others.

I can't stand him. I keep wishing his wife would just throw him out. It certainly would have been far healthier for the whole family than taking him back....see what that pushed his daughter to do.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 9:12 am
Because my Hebrew is not so good, I not comprehending the story line with Tzvi Aryeh, so can someone explain.

I feel awful about the firing of Aliza.

Sadie

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
Because my Hebrew is not so good, I not comprehending the story line with Tzvi Aryeh, so can someone explain.

I feel awful about the firing of Aliza.

Tzvi Ariyeh went go to visit a sick friend in the hospital and the friend's wife was by his side the whole time. The friend explained that his wife volunteered to be tested as a kidney donation match and she's going to donate to him. He said that getting cancer was a kind of gift because he was able to see how much people cared about him.
Tzvi Ariyeh had previously told his wife that he was going to visit this friend but she was paying attention to the radio while he was talking. When he mentioned that he had been to the hospital she didn't know what he was talking about and he took the opportunity to lie and say that he was sick as a test to see how much she cares about him. He asked if she would get tested as a donor match and she tried to put off doing it, so he feels that she doesn't love him.

The firing of Aliza is awful. Really mean of Menucha to tell him to do that. But I was dying laughing when Shulem introduced her to his sons with them trying to get his leg out of the bucket and onto the chair. Also when Tzvi Ariyeh had his breakdown at the vort and she was like "some kids you have there" and he went "yeah and he's the normal one!" Some good lines in this episode.

Sadie

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 11:38 am
I was also wondering is someone could explain a plotline I didn't catch- from way back in season one. I also watched it with English subtitles recently and I still couldn't get it.
Akiva goes to ask Elisheva out at the bank. Afterwards he meets up with his friend Levi and says something like, "okay I went through with it, now it's your turn". Then they go to Katamon and hang out until Levi works up his courage. They knock on a door and pretending to be collectors and say they're really hungry and have been out all day and can they come in and eat something. The woman at the door is a married woman with kids. She feeds them. There's some implication that she's maybe his mother? Then they leave and don't pick up that storyline again.
Can anyone explain?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 12:27 pm
Sadie wrote:
Tzvi Ariyeh went go to visit a sick friend in the hospital and the friend's wife was by his side the whole time. The friend explained that his wife volunteered to be tested as a kidney donation match and she's going to donate to him. He said that getting cancer was a kind of gift because he was able to see how much people cared about him.
Tzvi Ariyeh had previously told his wife that he was going to visit this friend but she was paying attention to the radio while he was talking. When he mentioned that he had been to the hospital she didn't know what he was talking about and he took the opportunity to lie and say that he was sick as a test to see how much she cares about him. He asked if she would get tested as a donor match and she tried to put off doing it, so he feels that she doesn't love him.

The firing of Aliza is awful. Really mean of Menucha to tell him to do that. But I was dying laughing when Shulem introduced her to his sons with them trying to get his leg out of the bucket and onto the chair. Also when Tzvi Ariyeh had his breakdown at the vort and she was like "some kids you have there" and he went "yeah and he's the normal one!" Some good lines in this episode.

Thanks, that's the part I didn't understand the kidney donation. I was missing those key words so I could not understand.

Nothing about Ruchumi in this episode, I wonder why?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 1:59 pm
Sadie wrote:
I was also wondering is someone could explain a plotline I didn't catch- from way back in season one. I also watched it with English subtitles recently and I still couldn't get it.
Akiva goes to ask Elisheva out at the bank. Afterwards he meets up with his friend Levi and says something like, "okay I went through with it, now it's your turn". Then they go to Katamon and hang out until Levi works up his courage. They knock on a door and pretending to be collectors and say they're really hungry and have been out all day and can they come in and eat something. The woman at the door is a married woman with kids. She feeds them. There's some implication that she's maybe his mother? Then they leave and don't pick up that storyline again.
Can anyone explain?

As I recall, Levi was either adopted or hadn't been in touch with his mother for years (maybe she'd left the community? Sorry, don't remember exactly. He wanted to meet his mother and was scared to do so so Akiva said he would ask Elisheva out if Levi would go meet his mother.

Gitch

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 9:54 pm
http://www.dailymotion.com/vid.....-3_tv

This site has more episodes from season 1.

November

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 7:15 pm
Do you think Shulem will go through with this marriage to Menucha? Is she just very manipulative in a way that his first wife wasn't? Where does that put Akiva?
I thought there was an interesting theme running through episode 6 of having to leave behind the thought of a past relationship that is not going to be a reality and take the one that presents itself. We saw that with Aliza and Shulem, Akiva and Libi (Libi pushing Akiva to move on), and then with Shulem and Devorah/Menucha.
And I loved the scene with dead Devorah on the floor after Shulem falls off the chair. And the smoking was just hysterical!
Page 5 of 77   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 75  76  77  Next Recent Topics