Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What is your favorite Jewish children's book?
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 6:46 am
12rivkyk34 wrote:
Agree with Yossi & Leibel books & Avi's Heart.
Also 'Benjy's Room'...'What Would You Do If It Happened To You'...'Mommy Tell Me More'...I happen to love the 'Amazing Facts and Feats'- it's Jewish so you know the content is kosher and teaches little kids so many interested topics with the most stunning pictures. 'Animal World' also has great pictures. We love 'Way too Much Challah Dough' although it's not any major lesson. There's a stunning book called 'A Mitzvah that Landed on my Windowsill' about shiluach hakan that has clear real pictures. Another favorite is 'Room for One More'- a funny book talking about being happy with what you have. And oh- 'Messes of Dresses'- same topic and also so cute.
Enjoy!!

I know kids love Way Too Much Challah Dough, but I couldn't remember the storyline. This brings up something that maybe deserves a spinoff, as OP might just be looking for real favorites to compile her "best of" list.
By and large, Jewish books will have lessons. People could go to the public library. They want something else from Judaica. Maybe it's just safety in sharing values - no Heather Has Two Mommies stuff - but they also want meaning. Really good books will be both fun and meaningful.

And re Bat em in Benjie, that was part of a division of earlier (not too early) Artscroll kids books, including some that have been mentioned: Arrogant Ari, Eli and His Little White Lie, Jojo Goes Shopping, Say It With Zest and - I like this one too(not that the others aren't fine books) - Dovi and the Surprise Guests.

OP, one more author: Genendel Krohn. Lovely, gentle books for a young audience.

lkwdgirl

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:02 am
These are some favorites by us. Goodnight My Friend Alef, Five Alive, and My Jewish ABC's. I also totally agree the "Malkie book" is great. Happy shopping! We are very into buying and reading books!

Yiddishe Mamma

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:34 am
Yossi and Laibel are by far the best best best... and also Is It Shabbos Yet- a total classic!

sky

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:41 am
Five Alive!- written well, almost feels like a song with repetitious rhyming. goes through the yomim tovim with the 5 senses. Probably good up until age 4 or 5

A Chanuka Story for Night number 3 - fun story about about a boy whose birthday falls on chanuaka and decideds to make a large latka. My boys loved the trucks involved. The newest version has all new illistrations, so I don't know what else they changed.

The very best place for a penny
- Old Classic.

bandcm

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 9:32 am
Yossi and Leibel series.
Is it Shabbos Yet - we have it in Yiddish. I don't like the illustrations (they cut off Malkie's gorgeous long hair and put her in tall boots when she's getting out of the bath) but my kids love it.
My kids love the Machanayim books, but they are a pain for me to read,as there are too many words.
Where Does Food Come From - A Brochos Book by D. Rosenfeld

And the three that Sky mentioned! All of them.

balibusta

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 9:42 am
there a so many great ones my kids love the Mimiy & Simi books, Is it Shabbos Yet, Yael books, Yossi & Leibel books, Too Much Dough, Thirty One Cakes, New Shoes For Yael, The Dina-Dee and Michael books they love...

balibusta

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 9:44 am
they also love I go to the dentist, I go shopping...all those by that author...they're laminated so that's good..

lfab

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 3:00 pm
My daughter was recently given Rina's Rainy Day. It's a book about how everything is all for the best (gam zu l'tova). She loves it. It is a cute book, written in ryme.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 9:28 pm
Op here, thanks for all of your replies. I have somewhere to start.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 10:13 pm
All of the above are great we have most of them . I only have one to add,
Donny and Denny K'teeny help the king by ella adler

sunny90

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 2:38 am
sky wrote:
[

A Chanuka Story for Night number 3 - fun story about about a boy whose birthday falls on chanuaka and decideds to make a large latka. My boys loved the trucks involved. The newest version has all new illistrations, so I don't know what else they changed.

The very best place for a penny
- Old Classic.

I was going to mention these two! A chanuka story for night number 3 is such a great book. If anyone knows where to find it in Israel please tell me!
Also I love the Yossi and Laibel books. And the Bina and Benny books for the Yamim Tovim.

Spaghetti7

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 5:23 am
My kids both love 'Time for Torah' I can't remember the author but the publisher is Hachai and it has laminated pages! Also 'Shabbos is coming we're lost in the Zoo'.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 7:25 am
There are collections, like the one with the middos, the one with Nice little Rivka, the Menouha Beckerman books... my kids love them.
There are also some cartoon books that are nice. Caveat: if it's not a FRUM brand, always pre-read.

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 9:25 am
kind little rivka, a little boy named avram and others from that series are all great as well.

Love most of the yossi and leibel books.

Is it shabbos yet is also great.

My shabbos 123s.

Blue jay

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 1:54 pm
Mitzvah giraffe! A great book about not complaining. My kids loved this book!

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 2:42 pm
There was a story I read to kindergarten class many years ago, but I don't remember what is was called. The story brought me to tears. It was about a girl that notices that a family doesn't have enough for shabbos treats and candy, so she gets it for them. And then she visits an older lady who is all alone on shabbos. Very moving story, but for little kids.
Maybe someone here knows what I'm talking about.

lfab

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
There was a story I read to kindergarten class many years ago, but I don't remember what is was called. The story brought me to tears. It was about a girl that notices that a family doesn't have enough for shabbos treats and candy, so she gets it for them. And then she visits an older lady who is all alone on shabbos. Very moving story, but for little kids.
Maybe someone here knows what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty sure the story you're talking about is the book the Shabbos treats that grew

http://www.amazon.com/Shabbos-.....1J3UU
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers