Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please help me decide...double oven or not?
1  2  Next

Beingreal

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 8:54 pm
My dh and I just moved in a house and the oven is not working, and now we have to get a new one. My dh wants to get a double oven and I'm not sure because they are so expensive....I want to hear honest opinions about single and double ovens....thanks!

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 29 2015, 11:57 pm
There are halachic questions with double ovens---AYLOR before buying anything.

5mom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:08 am
I do lots of baking. Putting in 4 or 6 cookie trays at once makes a huge difference in terms of how long it takes.

If you like to cook things uncovered, having 2 ovens has halachic benefits too.

joyful mom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:14 am
zaq wrote:
There are halachic questions with double ovens---AYLOR before buying anything.

What halachic issues are you referring to?

mommy best

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:08 am
Are you referring to a double oven with a stove on top? I have it for pesach I really like it. I keep one parve and one fleishig but one oven is smaller than the other. I heard of pple keeping one for milchig and one for fleishig. The ovens don't mix temp. It's like two separate ovens.
If your referring to double wall ovens I think those are electric ovens and not gas ovens. Electric ovens don't bake well with Challas.
Hope I helped.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 5:05 am
I make great challa in electric ovens.

Smile1234

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 6:31 am
Raisin wrote:
I make great challa in electric ovens.

Me too

fiji

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 7:29 am
Ive had 1 oven my whole life and never felt the need to have two. Oven is fleishigs and anything dairy goes in the toaster oven.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 7:36 am
I love having 2 ovens. It's a worthwhile splurge. I recommend getting one where both ovens self clean.

The star-k has an excellent resource on appliances for the kosher kitchen.

chani8

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 7:42 am
I hate my double oven because you cannot use both at the same time anyway. And the big oven is down low, so I have to bend down to open it.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:02 am
chani8 wrote:
I hate my double oven because you cannot use both at the same time anyway. And the big oven is down low, so I have to bend down to open it.

That's odd.

In the US, most ovens can be used simultaneously. We have 2 full ovens mounted at a good height for reaching both.

chani8

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:28 am
saw50st8 wrote:
That's odd.

In the US, most ovens can be used simultaneously. We have 2 full ovens mounted at a good height for reaching both.

Lucky! Mine is a 15 year old model so glad to see they've improved.

Here, I've seen a gorgeous option of an oven-and-a-half, meaning long (and wide). But only one oven. You could bake two full size cakes at the same time and on the same shelf. No more shuffling.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:34 am
saw50st8 wrote:
That's odd.

Thats what I have. I like having a full size dairy oven. I also dislike having appliances clutter the counters so wouldn't want a toaster oven.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:41 am
It's unclear whether you mean double wall ovens or a range (stove) with 2 ovens. And whether you need the second oven for pareve or for milchik, and how often you will use it.

If you're having to kasher your single oven often (constant self-cleaning will shorten the life of the oven), definitely consider a double oven, or a micro-convection oven above the range if that will serve.

Concerning the ranges with 2 ovens, some have the smaller oven above — much easier on your back!

Mevater

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:42 am
Raisin wrote:
Thats what I have. I like having a full size dairy oven. I also dislike having appliances clutter the counters so wouldn't want a toaster oven.

You never make toast or quickly defrost bread?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 9:00 am
I love having 2 full sized ovens but if I were doing a kitchen from scratch I'd put in 2 single rather than a double.

cm

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 9:00 am
If you can afford it, go for it. You will appreciate it even if you only use it a few times a year.

happybeingamom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:04 am
I have two ranges. We do a lot of baking and cooking in my house.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:53 am
I have a small apartment kitchen so I have the range with a small oven and a large oven. I use the small for Dairy and the Large for meat. I love being able to use standard cookie and baking sheets instead baking of one small pan after another. My only complaint is having to bend down to put stuff in the meat oven.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 2:49 pm
Can you get a regular oven and then a microwave\convection\vent above. Would that cost more then the double oven?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen