Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Bedtime advice

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 1:22 pm
I like to give my kids 1on1 attention at bedtime.
My baby, a toddler, gets ~5 minutes, a story and some songs. Then I leave the room and shut the door.
Then my younger preschooler (who sleeps in a different room,) gets 10-15 min of a story, little chatting/snuggling, singing shema tucking in, and I leave.
About 20 minutes later, when she has usually already fallen asleep, the oldest gets about 15 minutes of a story, chatting and shema, and hugs. If middle DC is still up, she has to be quiet and try not to interrupts as older DC has bedtime.

I am thinking I may need to move the baby into the same room as the older two, in a bed. Have others done this? Do I need to move the 1on1 time out of the room? Can I expect baby to stay in bed (if still awake) and let me give DC her 1on1 time? How to I teach this to such a young child(1.75 year old)?

Would love to hear experiences and advice. Thanks!

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 4:46 pm
You can give 1on1 time with other kids in the room. It's all about which kid has your undivided attention.
But if you're concerned about waking someone up or that they won't fall asleep, then do the bedtime routine, story or whatever, on the sofa and then take the kid to their bed, tuck in, etc.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 5:49 pm
I have a five year old and one year old. We usually read a story on the couch and everyone listens. I put him to bed first since he does not take naps and is the heavier sleeper of the two. I will sit in his room with him do shema hamalach etc. I wait about 20 minutes until he is really asleep and than I put the baby in his crib. We mainly do one on one time separate from bed time and I find it works better for us that way.

lizard8

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 7:40 pm
I do a joint story time, but everyone gets to choose a book. After shema I put them in their own beds and give each a couple of minutes to shmooze.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 7:43 pm
thanks for your input.
I don't find I have time for one on one time before bedtime, so that is why I do it this way. I just can't really focus on another kid with the baby around, for even a moment, or something/someone will be in chaos/a state of emergency/wounded? I sure hope this is just a stage!

amother
Ecru

double post

amother
Ecru

triple post
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers