Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Is this contract going overboard?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 7:09 pm
I just started working for a marketing company, and they want me to sign a contract. Pretty much that I will keep any and all information im exposed to, confidential.
Also, that while I'm working for them I cannot in any way be involved with any of their clients, and I'm the future I can never use any information gleaned through my work, to assist any of their clients.
Is that standard? Or are they putting me on a leash?

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 7:41 pm
That's a little overboard. In general, itbis standard to sign a non compete agreement but it is usually for a specific amount of time as opposed to "the future".

kb

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 7:47 pm
I think that's reasonable.

I do graphic design. If I would hire someone, and she'd work with one of my clients, learn what they like, etc... it wouldn't be fair for her to use what I taught her to steal my client.

And I HAVE signed such a contract in the past. And, when I left that job, one of the clients approached me and asked if I wanted to do work for them, and I told them I can't because of the contract.

I do think that it said for 3 years after the job though. Not forever and ever. (So I *could* call that client back now and offer my services... except now they have someone in-house.)

(OP, would you be able to send me the contract? Because I am looking to hire someone and would love to see how it's worded.)

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:31 pm
So the clause for the future is that I can still service the client, provided that the client approaches me, and j don't divulge that I did XYZ for them a couple years back, or use any inside information gleaned from doing XYZ. Does that make sense?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:31 pm
Sounds right.

I got the same contract at my place of employment. (Also marketing.)

I think it's pretty standard in marketing. There's cutthroat competition out there, and competitors are dying to know which systems and platforms you're using, how you're getting cheaper images, how to get your accounts, etc.

peekaboo

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:45 pm
kb wrote:
I think that's reasonable.

I do graphic design. If I would hire someone, and she'd work with one of my clients, learn what they like, etc... it wouldn't be fair for her to use what I taught her to steal my client.

And I HAVE signed such a contract in the past. And, when I left that job, one of the clients approached me and asked if I wanted to do work for them, and I told them I can't because of the contract.

I do think that it said for 3 years after the job though. Not forever and ever. (So I *could* call that client back now and offer my services... except now they have someone in-house.)

(OP, would you be able to send me the contract? Because I am looking to hire someone and would love to see how it's worded.)

I do graphic design too. Where are u located? Maybe I can apply for your position Wink

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 1:33 am
The contract is probably not enforceable because it is too broad. Do your own research or better yet go see an attorney and then sign away; however, this could be different in different jurisdictions.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 3:40 am
amother wrote:
The contract is probably not enforceable because it is too broad. Do your own research or better yet go see an attorney and then sign away; however, this could be different in different jurisdictions.
This is right. I have some experience with this and it is hard to tell from what you've written what the enforcability of your particular contract is in your particular jurisdiction. If it is going to be a big issue, you should consult a lawyer, preferably one who specializes in employment law.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers