Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Please help need new washer asap

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 8:07 pm
Are you happy with your washer? Which one do you have? Please help me avoid a bad washer. Also would love to know how long you have it for.
TIA

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 6:55 am
Anyone out there that washers laundry in a washer and not by the lake? Which one do you have?

Six boyz

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 6:58 am
frigidaire affinity
I have it for 8 years not very happy with it

m+m

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 7:01 am
Whirlpool Duet- expensive but worth every penny.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 7:46 am
m+m wrote:
Whirlpool Duet- expensive but worth every penny.

How long do you have it for? Did you ever need repair on it? Thanks

sky

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 8:25 am
My old fashioned washer just broke and it took me 2 weeks to buy a new one because I was so disappointed with what is on the market.

This is what I learned:
- top loaders, even with agitators use a lot less water. You have to be careful to balance when loading. The only machines I was recommended to get as a top loader was was the whirlpool Carbio model, specifically the newer model were you can set a turbo wash and add more water. The saleslady told me they hadn't sold many yet but it was updated from previous models (which people hated). or the Speed Queen, but it was recently updated to use computers and less water so it may not be as great of an option.

- I was told that most machines do not last 10 years. 6 years if lucky. You MUST buy an extended warranty because repairs are expensive. (my appliance guy insisted I buy one because even one visit from him would be more then the warranty)

- I ended up getting the Whirlpool Duet for 2 main reasons:
- It has a fan fresh mode. The front loaders are air tight so if you leave the clothing in there it smells musty even after a few hours. The fan keeps the clothing smelling fresh.
- There is a soak cycle. (Many front loaders and top loaders do not have a soak cycle at all. with top loaders you can't just open the lid to soak, either it is locked or it will drain).
- My neighbor had it 3 years, she is particular about her kids laundry and is happy.

I haven't had it long but am really enjoying it.
(The first machine I had delivered actually stopped working during the first wash cycle, but it was replaced the next day and has been working well since)

Now is probably a good time to buy a washer. With the holiday season there are probably lots of good rebates. I got mine from Town Appliance in Lakewood, NJ and their price was WAY less then any other store I looked into. And I understand the deals now are much better then when I bought.

I also found my appliance guy to be a great source of info. He told me which machines are junk, which are more expensive to repair, and which require a long wait time for parts from other countries.

sourstix

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 9:36 am
I also have whirlpool duet. and I like it. but be careful to keep the door open and dispenser every night. also dont put in too much soap. it will clog the pipes and stop working till the bubbles get out. so dont put too much soap. I have it since last march and I like it.

#1mommy

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 9:43 am
I have lg front loader for about half a year very happy with it

m+m

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 10:48 am
sourstix wrote:
I also have whirlpool duet. and I like it. but be careful to keep the door open and dispenser every night. also dont put in too much soap. it will clog the pipes and stop working till the bubbles get out. so dont put too much soap. I have it since last march and I like it.

The model I have measures the soap for you and will only use what is needed per load. I refil the soap dispenser every 1-2 weeks. This is the main reason I went for the more expensive Duet.

m+m

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
How long do you have it for? Did you ever need repair on it? Thanks

2 years. Never had an issue.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 11:17 am
When I bought the Whirlpool duet they were pretty strong about using a tiny amount of detergent, they were even particular about brands. And doing a hot load at least twice a week.
My neighbor who has the duet said she finds the dispenser gets goopy if left closed. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

I couldn't justify the additional cost of getting the detergent dispenser, but it looks like a great feature.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 4:32 pm
sky wrote:
My old fashioned washer just broke and it took me 2 weeks to buy a new one because I was so disappointed with what is on the market.

This is what I learned:
- top loaders, even with agitators use a lot less water. You have to be careful to balance when loading. The only machines I was recommended to get as a top loader was was the whirlpool Carbio model, specifically the newer model were you can set a turbo wash and add more water. The saleslady told me they hadn't sold many yet but it was updated from previous models (which people hated). or the Speed Queen, but it was recently updated to use computers and less water so it may not be as great of an option.

- I was told that most machines do not last 10 years. 6 years if lucky. You MUST buy an extended warranty because repairs are expensive. (my appliance guy insisted I buy one because even one visit from him would be more then the warranty)

- I ended up getting the Whirlpool Duet for 2 main reasons:
- It has a fan fresh mode. The front loaders are air tight so if you leave the clothing in there it smells musty even after a few hours. The fan keeps the clothing smelling fresh.
- There is a soak cycle. (Many front loaders and top loaders do not have a soak cycle at all. with top loaders you can't just open the lid to soak, either it is locked or it will drain).
- My neighbor had it 3 years, she is particular about her kids laundry and is happy.

I haven't had it long but am really enjoying it.
(The first machine I had delivered actually stopped working during the first wash cycle, but it was replaced the next day and has been working well since)

Now is probably a good time to buy a washer. With the holiday season there are probably lots of good rebates. I got mine from Town Appliance in Lakewood, NJ and their price was WAY less then any other store I looked into. And I understand the deals now are much better then when I bought.

I also found my appliance guy to be a great source of info. He told me which machines are junk, which are more expensive to repair, and which require a long wait time for parts from other countries.

Thanks for the info. Was the Electrolux one of your opinions?

What about the whirlpool do they come down to repair? How good is there costumer service?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 4:34 pm
#1mommy wrote:
I have lg front loader for about half a year very happy with it

Did you need to repair it? If so how was there costumer service?

sky

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:13 pm
The store didn't mention that brand.

Mainly Whirlpool, LG, Samsung. Depending on price points and features.

With the extended warranty I believe the place you buy the warranty from arranges it.

[When my washer arrived broken the place I bought it from send someone down that day to check it out, when they saw it was the computer they just replaced it. I didn't deal with whirlpool at all.
I believe the first year the warranty is covered by Whirlpool and the next 5 years after by the extended warranty, not purchased from Whirlpool. I don't know how getting it fixed will work and I hope I don't have to find out]

asd3

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:28 pm
I have a maytag bravos xl which is a very large top loader and fits a ton of clothing at once. Because it's a top loader you can pause the cycle to add something in. I've had it over three years no problems bH and I'm very happy with it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics