Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Coloring book for grown ups

cbg

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 4:14 pm
Anyone into it.
Which coloring books do you have
What do you use to color colored pencil, markers, gel pens.
Which brand.

Getting for DD, 21, likes doodling, never had a chance to pursue her artistic abilities.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 4:25 pm
I've been noticing them on Amazon lately and they look so nice and I think it would be so fun and relaxing but in reality I don't see myself having time to sit down and do this at this point in my life.

myself

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 4:50 pm
I saw it advertised recently and literally lol! LOL

For those that actually bought them, how do they differ from kid coloring books?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 4:53 pm
myself wrote:
I saw it advertised recently and literally lol! LOL

For those that actually bought them, how do they differ from kid coloring books?

A quick Google search brings up adult content coloring books, and some with intricate patterns. One was titled "color therapy" and touted as a stress reliever.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:00 pm
I can't discuss it on imamother. Smile

cbg

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:15 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I can't discuss it on imamother. Smile

Question

Coloring books for grown ups. NOT"Adult" coloring.
It's for my dd. The one I got her is called The Secret Garden
I want to get her colored pencils, good ones, I don't know which ones though.

Last edited by cbg on Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:18 pm
my teenagers love them. So does my 7 year old, who now wants one for chanukah. Smile I'm also tempted to steal one from them.

the nicest ones imo are by Johanna basford (enchanted forest, secret garden, lost ocean)

I also just got one for them called the magical city by lizzie mary cullen that looks great.

I got staedtler brand pens (1 mm) to go with them.

If you are buying on amazon it gives you suggestions of which pens to get. You can also get pencils.

cbg

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:21 pm
Raisin wrote:
my teenagers love them. So does my 7 year old, who now wants one for chanukah. Smile I'm also tempted to steal one from them.

the nicest ones imo are by Johanna basford (enchanted forest, secret garden, lost ocean)

I also just got one for them called the magical city by lizzie mary cullen that looks great.

I got staedtler brand pens (1 mm) to go with them.

If you are buying on amazon it gives you suggestions of which pens to get. You can also get pencils.

Are these like gel pens.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:26 pm
nope, more like thin markers.

trixx

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 6:20 pm
just want to recommend this book - I follow her on instagram and she's incredible
also seems to be more than just coloring, but encouraging to draw as well

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Me.....+webb

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 6:27 pm
I love my coloring books and take advantage of them once a week. Last year I was gifted with some new ones, one is Persian Rugs and another is Escher prints. Typically I buy mine from a local artist who does fractals and mandalas based on mathematics. I have a fortune in Faber Castel fine point markers, coloring pencils and oil pastel chalks. I can't draw or paint worth a spit but coloring is sooo relaxing for me.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 7:00 pm
I bought for my friend's daughter who was diagnosed with Hodgkins last month. I bought her a set of pencils at an art store. She finds it very relaxing because its something to do with one's hands but mind can drift a bit

I think knitting or needlework for many provides the same function as when the hands work in rhythm, the mind somehow releases. My mother was a hand quilter and brought a little bag with her to work everywhere.

Volunteer

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 11:29 pm
There are human anatomy coloring books that students use. I had a few.

Here's one book
http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-.....32019

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:26 am
I understand the mandala ones are popular.

I don't really understand this trend or its appeal to adults. But then again, I hated coloring books as a child.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:01 am
Wow, I've never heard of this trend. Luckily for me I get in my coloring book time with my kids lol.

cbg

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:35 am
I ended up buying her "Secret Garden"
and prismacolor VERITHIN colored pencils
Oh and a prismacolor sharpener, I didn't
know if any sharpener would work.

Has anyone worked with these color pencils
Are the colors deep

I saw a technique where they use a chalky type of pastel, and with scissors scraped some off and then blended it with cotton, to color in the background. It was very pretty
What type of pastel do you think was used.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 10:57 am
Enjoy.

Was the pastel technique with coloring books or on its own?

I think they are called chalk pastels.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:38 pm
Is no one else on here colouring with me? I print (free!) sheets from online. Good for while listening to a shiur online, etc. Love finding outlets like this. Just need to find more time Smile

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 9:10 pm
cbg wrote:
I ended up buying her "Secret Garden"
and prismacolor VERITHIN colored pencils
Oh and a prismacolor sharpener, I didn't
know if any sharpener would work.

Has anyone worked with these color pencils
Are the colors deep

I saw a technique where they use a chalky type of pastel, and with scissors scraped some off and then blended it with cotton, to color in the background. It was very pretty
What type of pastel do you think was used.

Prismacolor are high quality pencils, I hope you enjoy them. They blend easily. The technique you mentioned uses what are called oil pastels (a mix of oil wax and pigment). They are a lot easier to use than what are called French pastels (very soft). Some papers are resistant to them and they may be harder to use on a fine smooth finished paper. Enjoy your coloring!!

cbg

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 9:18 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Prismacolor are high quality pencils, I hope you enjoy them. They blend easily. The technique you mentioned uses what are called oil pastels (a mix of oil wax and pigment). They are a lot easier to use than what are called French pastels (very soft). Some papers are resistant to them and they may be harder to use on a fine smooth finished paper. Enjoy your coloring!!

I bought for my dd prismacolor verithin, are these the right kind to buy for coloring books.
With the pastels that I saw they looked hard and dry, like chalk, except they were square
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics