Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Tablet for children

Leahh

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 6:35 pm
I am looking to buy a tablet. I don't want to spend a lot of money since it will primarily be for my kids to play game. I can't get a kids one because the age restrictions are not good. Also, I don't like that they all have Internet access and preloaded movies.
I have an app on my phone that allows me to control what the kids have access to. I would like to be able to use something like that. I am not a fan of apple products.
Any recommendations?

singleagain

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 6:49 pm
Leahh wrote:
Also, I don't like that they all have Internet access and preloaded movies.

You can disable the internet access and delete the movies.

And at the dollar amount you are looking I doubt that it makes so much of a difference, I would go to a store like best buy and talk to the guys there, they'll know more, just make sure you have a list with features that are important you you, like battery life, weight, memory etc

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 7:11 pm
I've heard the kindle fire is great for kids, and has great parental controls, but not used it personally. I know its pretty cheap and good value.

We are very happy with the ipad for our kids but its expensive. We've disabled internet, youtube and control whatever they download. The mini however is not crazy expensive and they are very durable with a good case so it's not a bad buy. (our big ipad has lasted over 5 years)

seeker

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 7:55 pm
I also heard good things about kindle fire, the kids one comes with a cushy cover and an extra warranty, and it was about $85 or something for black friday - most "cyber week" sales end at midnight tonight so maybe you can still get that (and amazon return policy is great if you change your mind later)

little_mage

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 10:18 pm
We're a kindle family, and one of the reasons is because of the parental controls. When the kindle is in free time mode, there is no internet access, and they are only allowed access to apps/videos/books that you've specifically allowed. However, we have decided to not buy the free time unlimited because that does not allow you to curate-it's whatever amazon has deemed appropriate for that age group.

Leahh

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 12:41 am
I called best buy and ordered a kindle fire for kids based on their recommendation.
Rep said I can return until January 15, even used, as long its not damaged. So if it doesn't meet my needs I can change it.
Thanks all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics