Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dishes breaking

yo'ma

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 10:13 am
Where do the majority of your dishes (glasses, plates, etc..) break, at the table, during usage, or while cleaning them? Either washing them, cleaning them off the table, or putting them away?

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 11:14 am
Dropping from a height to the floor because:
--dishes are piled precariously and too high in an overfull dish drainer,
--something is on or near a vibrating appliance and "walks" off the edge from the vibrations,
--sliding off a shelf as I'm taking them out or moving things around in my overfull cabinets
--very, very rarely from toppling over in the sink--this usually happens only to fragile stemware, which is why we don't have much fragile stemware.

I have a charming collection of dinged, dented, deformed and distorted cookware as well. I call it the "well-loved" look.

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 11:42 am
Dropping them when I am trying to cut corners in some way.

Except for one set that I treated myself to after admiring for about a year in Bloomingdales. It wasn't cheap and it seemed to just disintegrate if I looked at it the wrong way. The handle fell off the mug when I picked it up. And as I wrote, this was not an inexpensive set but it was so pretty. I still have the platter because I almost never used it.

I have some old Fiesta which I collected which is very delicate but the new Fiesta is very durable as mine hasn't chipped even with careless use.

I also have my Bubbe's china but that is never used because its not dishwashers safe lol.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 11:49 am
Most current Corelle sets have stoneware mugs that break if you sneeze on them. I started with service for sixteen about two years ago and we're down to eleven mugs as of this morning. They're a plain solid color so when we're down to six or so I'll just buy a dozen plain dumb mugs from a restaurant supply place or something.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 11:56 am
My mother z"l used to say when a dish broke, "Mazal Tov, it means a simcha." I like that attitude, so any time there is the crash of breaking crockery at our house, which is pretty often, you can hear me yell "Mazal Tov!" followed by "don't anybody go barefoot, and stay out of the kitchen." My bff says "It should be for a kapparah."

Wooden dishes are starting to look attractive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics