Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Matbucha recipe please

JenniferK

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 12:48 am
I have like 6 very overripe tomatoes and this will be my 1st attempt at matbucha.

I'm aiming for the real, authentic stuff. Not looking for shortcuts.

TIA

buzz

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 4:25 am
The one I and people I have over love:

1 red pepper (capsicum)
4 large soft tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
salt
pepper
paprika
chili powder (optional)

Roast the garlic in olive oil for a min then put in the red capsicum which is cut very fine.
Roast that for 5 minutes then add the tomatoes which are cubed and the spices and keep stirring every now and then as the tomatoes break down. Once that happens, keep stirring until you feel it is the right amount of dry/liquidy for you..

I use a shallow fry pan for this.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 7:15 am
I usually make double the amount (because it's rather time-consuming) and freeze them in plastic containers.

Ingredients:
- 1kg tomatoes (see below)
- 1 large green pepper, seeded, chopped in bite size or in slivers
- 1 hot peppers (seeds removed and chopped coarsely, cut back if you like less hot, or substitute with pepper oil)
- 5-6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- salt, pepper, paprika

Make a very shallow but large criss-cross cuts in the centre of tomato. Plunge in a bowl with boiling hot water for 20-seconds or so. Peel tomatoes once cold enough to handle. I know it's a bit patchke, but peeling tomato makes so much difference.

In a large skillet (NOT sauce pan or a deep pot), heat half of oil and fry garlic for a few minute. Add tomato, peppers, hot peppers, salt/pepper and start frying over medium heat. It takes some time because tomato yield lots of liquid but you want your matbuha thick. Add the rest of oil as you continue to cook down the liquid. (You're supposed to have a bit of orange-hued oil at the top.) Adjust seasoning.

Note: tomatoes--If you can't get really ripe, really red ones, don't bother with hothouse pale ones in winter. If you absolutely must, its better to use chopped tinned tomato (but not plum tomato).

Note2: a friend of mine actually bakes her matbucha because she hates frying for a long time but I'm not sure how thickly the baked version come out.

Note 3: there's another version that adds cubed aubergines but IMHO this is not real matbucha but aubergine/tomato cooked salad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics