Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Your shabbos table

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 11:02 am
What nice things do you do at your shabbos table to engage children of all ages
Or any even adults...?

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 11:11 am
I like to give each child a turn to get up and sing a song they learned that week in school, and after he/she sings that song the entire family joins along. it makes the child feel really special and it gives the Shabbos meal a happy feeling of togetherness.
for a family with older children who wont want to sing, they can say something nice they learned in school about the parsha or halacha.........

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 12:10 pm
Very classic. My husband asks questions about what they learned and interrogates them on their level on the parasha. We sing the zmiros. We don't do anything specially child friendly and certainly do not entertain hosts.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 12:33 pm
Each child brings home parsha sheets from school and shares them at the table friday night. Shabbos day each kid has a turn to say a l'chaim ,give brochos, and choose a song. Also, because we had some undesirable table behaviors going on I keep a little stash of chocolate chips with me at the table and give them out throughout the meals to kids who are sitting nicely/ eating nicely/ singing nicely/ helping to serve/ clean-up, etc.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 3:56 pm
We have parsha foods (wagon wheel pasta this week) and read from the Chumash at the table. Some singing, lots of talk about the parsha as opposed to the question and answer format.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note