Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Bubbe's Balls

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 3:52 pm
I must disclaim that I haven't made these but I they "read" well and I made the turkey meatball (Gobble Gobble) and Brussels Sprouts recipe from this cookbook and they were very good.

If anyone wants to be a guinea pig, let me know. Or I might try them myself if I remember to get liver. LOL

Notes are from the cookbook - the authors own a restaurant that only serves meatballs. Original title was Grandma's Balls but what kind of Jewish meatball would be made by a Grandma and not a Bubbe? LOL

Bubble's Balls

Source: Lauren Deen & Holzmanl. “The Meatball Shop Cookbook.

Chicken liver and matzoh are the secret ingredients to this Jewish soul-food ball. The trick is coaxing all the sweet goodness from the onions. Well-browned onions in which the sugars are caramelized are the secret to many a Jewish dish, and here’s where low and slow are key. You don’t want them blackened or burned—as your grandma would say, “Have a little patience.”

Makes about 2 dozen 1½-inch meatballs

5 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
1 ONION, FINELY DICED
½ CUP CHOPPED FRESH PARSLEY
¼ CUP KETCHUP
2 POUNDS 80% LEAN GROUND BEEF
¼ POUND CHICKEN LIVER, CHOPPED
2 SHEETS MATZOH, FINELY CRUMBLED
2 TEASPOONS SALT
¼ CUP BREAD CRUMBS
2 LARGE EGGS

• Preheat the oven to 450°F. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a 9 × 13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.

• Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir frequently until they are well browned, but not burned, 8 to 10 minutes. Turn down the heat to low and allow the pan to cool for 3 minutes. Add the parsley and ketchup, stirring to incorporate. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool.

• When the onion mixture is completely cool, combine it with the ground beef, chicken liver, matzoh, salt, bread crumbs, and eggs in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.

• Roll the mixture into round, golf ball–size meatballs (about 1½ inches), making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.

• Roast for 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball should read 165°F.

• Allow the meatballs to cool for 5 minutes in the baking dish before serving.

Sadie

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 4:22 pm
I wonder how long it will take for this to show up in the immediate reactions thread Smile

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 4:24 pm
As in a slang usage for chutzpah so to speak :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics