Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dear mothers who aren't good with babies/younger toddlers

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 11:32 pm
I'm sure I'm not the only one out there, right?!

Does anyone have any coping techniques? What have you figured out? How do you get yourself to sit on the floor and play blocks? How do you deal with the frustration of not being able to communicate with a not-yet-verbal child who very much knows what he wants?

My oldest is almost 3.5, and it's SO much easier for me to parent her than my 18 month old. I know there is a light at the end of this tunnel, but I need help getting there!

amother
Red

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 11:45 pm
The honest truth is that I send to playgroup at around 18 months. I can't sit on the floor and play blocks, it makes me batty. I also talk to them as much as possible, it helps them learn to talk :-) Also, all my kids can play independently from an early age, which is good for them, so I don't feel bad about not playing with them as toddlers.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 11:47 pm
amother wrote:
The honest truth is that I send to playgroup at around 18 months. I can't sit on the floor and play blocks, it makes me batty. I also talk to them as much as possible, it helps them learn to talk :-) Also, all my kids can play independently from an early age, which is good for them, so I don't feel bad about not playing with them as toddlers.

Well, I work PT, so my baby's already at a babysitter then. I really can't afford to send him out more even if I convinced myself not to feel guilty about it.

gp2.0

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 11:53 pm
I only had to sit on the floor with my first one - from the beginning my older one (age 3 then) loved to play beside and with her baby sister.

My kids figure out that they can play independently on the floor, alone or with each other, and are always welcome on mommys lap for a cuddle. But this mama does NOT sit on the floor anymore. My hips would never forgive me.

Sadie

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 4:03 am
You don't need to play blocks with them. Children don't need adults to play with them, it comes naturally and it's good for them to learn to be independent. As long as they know that you're there if they need you, you can feel fine about doing something else in the general vicinity while they play.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 4:22 am
My 22 month old son plays with whatever is laying around. Toys, tools, furniture, the baby... (I hid the knives)
I talk with him a lot. Understand him? Getting better.
I mostly just watch him and laugh.
Now and then I roll a ball or a car to him- like playing catch. I only play with toys with my kids that I enjoy. I built a Lego house for them the other day. I showed them how to stagger the pieces. But now they caught on and play themselves.
My toddler loves helping me with laundry, putting it in the machine, pressing the buttons, etc. He also likes following simple orders such as go get a diaper and wipes, bring me a tissue...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics