Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Malware on my computer - help!

runninglate

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 11:35 am
My computer has been freezing lately. I called Toshiba customer service, they checked remotely and said there is malware on the computer. They charge 160 to fix it which comes with tech support for six months. Is this a normal price? Will I pay more or less if I take jt to a store? Or is this something I can fix myself? I am not at all tech savvy , so I can only do it if it's really simple.

runninglate

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 8:12 pm
Bump. Anyone?

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 9:27 pm
Sympathies. If you are not tech savvy and don't know someone who is, then hire a professional. You might find a cheaper price by hiring someone local. I know Bes Buy has a geek squad but there are also computer stores and also individuals who troubleshoot if you can ge a good personal recommendation.

Do you know how you got it? Whoever does it, be sure to install anti Virus software and ask the how to keep it up to date.

mirror

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 9:37 pm
Free malware removers:

(You should use all three to get the job done)

1. ADWCleaner

http://www.bleepingcomputer.co.....aner/

Click on greed banner on left that says "Download from bleeping computer"
If you have malware then you will get a lot of other banners saying "download"

2. Malware Antibytes

http://www.bleepingcomputer.co.....aner/

Scroll down under "Malware bytes Antimalware free"
Click on black box under it says "download now" see mbam setup file

3. Superantispyware

http://www.superantispyware.com/

You will see a red box that says "free download"

Take the time to download and run all of them

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 9:40 pm
Have you used these internet malware programs because many applications actually plant malware. I know when I visit some questionable sites, I will get dre warnings about my computer which I ignore.

mirror

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 10:20 pm
Amarante wrote:
Have you used these internet malware programs because many applications actually plant malware. I know when I visit some questionable sites, I will get dre warnings about my computer which I ignore.

Yes. I use these three quite frequently.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:16 am
backup all your data to an external drive (usb, cloud, or external hard drive) and then reinstall windows.

It is free and very easy to do.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:19 am
oh and I dont recommend using any malware removal stuff. most dont work well and you will not get rid of everything.

dont hire a professional. for $160 bucks it is not worth saving your computer unless it is super expensive.

I had horrible problems with my computers and did extensive research on this stuff and my above suggestion is what I would recommend. It really helped.

PM me if you need step by step instructions

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 1:32 am
causemommysaid wrote:
backup all your data to an external drive (usb, cloud, or external hard drive) and then reinstall windows.

It is free and very easy to do.

My malware or whatever it is goes onto any USB I put in Sad It's vicious. But maybe I'll do that anyway because I'm sure there is other junk on my computer, if I get rid of the rest of it that'll be an improvement I guess. Though I'll have to reinstall everything else I use also. Sigh.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 9:46 am
Causemommysaid, do you know if it's possible to reinstall windows without a cd? Mine came preinstalled. Is have the product key but no installation disk.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 11:26 am
Amarante wrote:

I am not familiar with #3, but #1 & #2 are excellent. I'd also recommend est.com.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics