Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Bean recipe

octopus

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 8:12 pm
I don't usually cook beans, but if someone can give me a yummy bean recipe with all necessary steps (I'm a bean newbie), I would be awfully grateful!

mha3484

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 8:27 pm
If you are using canned beans these are excellent http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 8:35 pm
Lentil Burgers
1 cup lentils (or 1 1/2 cans ready lentils)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 cup carrots, finely chopped
1 large egg
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
salt, to taste

(If using dried lentils, bring lentils and 2 cups water to boil. Reduce heat, cover pan and cook 35 - 40 minutes until tender. Set aside covered.)
Heat a skillet; add olive oil and saute onions until translucent. Add garlic and carrots and saute for a few minutes.
Rinse and drain lentils well. Place in food processor along with sauteed vegetables, cumin, coriander, curry if using, and egg. Process until smooth. And bread crumbs and season with salt to taste.
Form into 4 balls and then flatten into patties. Place on an a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes, turning over halfway through.
Serve on buns layered with sliced red onion, tomato, pickles and ketchup.

smoms

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 9:42 pm
This is delicious!

http://overtimecook.com/2011/1.....alad/

octopus

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 7:42 pm
Thanks so much to all who posted. I'm really looking for cooked bean recipes. Meaning- when I serve it, I want it to be cooked, and still look like a bean. Not ground up into something else.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 7:50 pm
I love cooked and seasoned chickpeas.
Chickpea salad.
Roasted chickpeas.
Cooked black eyed peas that we eat on rosh hashanah.
Lima beans or white navy beans in vegetable soup.
Black beans, shredded cheese and salad wrapped together in a flour tortilla or wrap.
Black bean, corn and avocado quesadillas.
Chili made with a mix of ground beef and kidney beans.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Dec 15 2015, 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

octopus

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 7:52 pm
So if you are working with dried beans do you soak? for how long? what spices are you using? you are doing this in a pot? please as many details as you can! thanks!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 8:02 pm
octopus wrote:
So if you are working with dried beans do you soak? for how long? what spices are you using? you are doing hi this in a pot? please as many details as you can! thanks!

I soak the beans overnight in a large covered pot, covering the beans with water by 1 - 2 inches. Then I rinse and drain in a colander.
I like to then cook them in the crockpot, so I don't have to think about them. 3 hours on High, using about 1 pound soaked beans and 5 cups boiling water.
Drain and serve.
You can season the water when cooking but I usually don't unless I will be eating the beans straight up, like we do with chickpeas. In such a case, I season the water with sugar, salt and pepper until it is very tasty. The I add the beans, cover and cook 3 hours.

octopus

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 9:35 pm
thanks so much!

EsaEinai

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 11:54 pm
I use Eden cooked lentils and sauté them with an onion. I season with salt and pepper. I serve it over quinoa. It's delish.

I also make chickpea salad with a can if chick peas, diced tomato and purple onion. I dress it with olive oil, lemon juice and salt.

I make black beans the same way as I do lentils- I sauté an onion, add black beans and season with salt and pepper. I serve with Spanish rice, guacamole, etc for tacos

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:42 am
A couple of recipes/suggestion:

Green (Puy) lentils: these are smallish lentils with green-greyish hue. Doesn't need soaking, rinse, and cook with 1.5x water over low heat for about 35-40min, just make sure the pot doesn't dry out. They should be still a bit firm to bite when done, not mushy. Drain, I just like to simply dress with equal amount of olive oil, balsamic vinegar (or mix of orange/lemon juice) and soy sauce. Can be served hot/warm/room temp.

Chickpeas: soak overnight with 1 teasp baking soda. Drain water and add fresh water, just about 1x weight of the soaked beans and salt. I usually use pressure cooker, so 13min from the point the pot gets pressurised. I usually depreeusre immediately. To be honest, it's quite tasty as they are. Save the cooking liquid, you can add it to soup. You can just dress with olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, cumin, paprika. Or add to curries or rice.

I like doing chickpea-spinach curry: sautee finely chopped onions (2 medium), garlic (2 cloves) and ginger. Add frozen chopped spinach (about 200g or 8-9 cubes), 1 cup cooked chickpeas, 1/2cup passata, 1/4 jar curry sauce (we use Rajah brand which is quite intense). Simmer for about 15min till all flavours mellow. Serve with naan or rice.

sushi galore

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 11:53 am
Are you a bean newbie for health reasons? (Diet incl) if so, try to avoid canned beans.. they're full of salt and (or) sugar.
Using dried beans, either boil up beans in plain water, spill water and re-cook in fresh water till tender. You may add any spice as you wish. I cook with a dash of salt and add black pepper or paprika. Experiment with your taste buds.
You can also try soaking dried beans overnite if you have more time then cooking as above in fresh water.
I once read and heard that boiling the beans first and letting sit an hour or two in boiled water, eliminates the gas in beans. I do this and have no stomach issue after effects. (just a thought)
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking