Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Bacteria towels

bluebird

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 11:50 am
I'll post this as myself since the people in question aren't frum and wouldn't be on here.

I'm visiting my husband's family this week (no Xmas, just a convenient time cause everyone's off work/school). They're very nice about accommodating us and I appreciate it. There's only one problem--their towels. They have that "musty" smell, which is bacterial growth. They reek, and I can smell it on myself when I use them. I hate it, and feel so gross. I use them as little as possible. This morning I skipped washing my hair and dried myself with my pajamas.

What do I do without being rude? I decided last year to being my own, but forgot so now I'm stuck. Sad

Here's what I've thought of.

1. Be honest and ask to wash the towels. I'm an awkward person with no tact and I don't think I'd be able to say it in a way that won't embarrass my SIL.

2. Invent a neurosis about towel cleanliness and ask to wash them. But then I'm stuck washing them a lot

3. Wait for them to go out and then wash them myself. Their washer and dryer takes a while so they need to be gone a long time. They will be at a school thing tomorrow night so it's a possibility, but I'll still be stuck with the gross towels in the morning.

4. Spill something on myself and ask to wash my clothes. Sneak in the towels.

5. Keep drying myself with pyjamas.

6. Deal with it and feel gross all week.

7. Sneak out and buy a towel.

They're not slovenly or doing it on purpose, at all. They're otherwise clean and organized. I think they probably have a lot of towels, or some guest towels, and don't smell it and don't use those towels often. Maybe they put towels away damp.

Help!!!

Simple1

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 11:58 am
I don't see a problem with going out to Walmart or wherever and buying bath towels. Is your schedule is that packed that they'll notice your absence? If you keep them in your suitcase, no one will know you are using them.

For hand washing, you can buy paper towels and keep a few pieces on hand to use as needed.

Miri1

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:04 pm
I would go an buy my own. You just don't want them to see it. Buy a few smaller ones, not a big bath towel, and just manage with those while you are there (truth is I always wash towels before first use, so if you are like me it may not solve the problem of doing the laundry...)

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:18 pm
I would buy towels or I would wash the towels you have been given

I would never be able to use towels that smelled or I thought were in some way not washed and dried in high temperatures. I am even picky about my own towels in terms of not reusing them.

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 5:11 pm
Bring towels with and say you have developed a skin intolerance to towels washed in anything other than your super special sensitive skin washing powder, and have to bring them with everywhere.

r1

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 5:24 pm
Say u got dirty and want to do a load, stick towels in there. If they see them say u got it dirty or love a fresh towel

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 5:59 pm
I know a family like this. They have a lot of kids, and usually do 8 or 9 loads a day. They have financial problems, so to save money they only wash in cold water, with very little soap. They do a quick dry, and things are often put away damp. Mold city!

Whenever I visit anyone, I always pack a medium towel, because it freaks me out to dry my face or hands on something that smells so bad.

I could never say anything to the family with the stinky towels, I just pretend everything is fine. When we was for hamotzi, I discretely wipe my hands on my skirt.

Anon, in case you see my wiping my hands on my skirt! Wink

Laiya

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 9:55 am
Regarding the smell, it could also be caused by using too much detergent. We recently bought a HE machine, and had to train ourselves to put in way less detergent than we were used to, because the clothes were coming out smelling a tad mildew-y.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics