Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Conservadox, reconstructionist, etc...

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 8:45 am
I know what orthodox is and the different sects, but there seem to be so many other "types" of judaism. Can someone tell me the names of them and explain what each one holds or is? I signed up for shabbat.com and so far nothing, but I'm not actively inviting either. Anyway, there I see so many different types of jews. Someone signed up in my city and it says he's a reconstructionist. I have no problem having him over, but I would like to know what they believe in reference to judaism. Not only reconstructionist, but others as well. Thank you!

cm

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 9:54 am
"Conservadox" is a nickname (not an official movement) for traditionally observant Conservative Jews. They are likely to observe Shabbat and kashrut fully.

cm

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 4:34 pm
I was hoping someone with more personal experience with Reconstructionist Judaism would chime in, but since not, here's a link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....daism

Reconstructionist Jews seem to be more liberal, not just religiously but socially and politically. They do not feel bound to follow Halacha, but turn to Jewish tradition for inspiration.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 4:47 pm
cm wrote:
I was hoping someone with more personal experience with Reconstructionist Judaism would chime in, but since not, here's a link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....daism

Reconstructionist Jews seem to be more liberal, not just religiously but socially and politically. They do not feel bound to follow Halacha, but turn to Jewish tradition for inspiration.

We have a reconstructionist community in my town. I enjoy interacting with them, here they are a bit left, but not as left as I am. Each individual finds their inspiration differently, that's how humans operate. Their tent is big, bigger than the MO communities I've experienced.

Seas

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 5:56 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I know what orthodox is and the different sects, but there seem to be so many other "types" of judaism. Can someone tell me the names of them and explain what each one holds or is? I signed up for shabbat.com and so far nothing, but I'm not actively inviting either. Anyway, there I see so many different types of jews. Someone signed up in my city and it says he's a reconstructionist. I have no problem having him over, but I would like to know what they believe in reference to judaism. Not only reconstructionist, but others as well. Thank you!

If you invite someone who doesn't believe that the entire torah (written and oral) is from Hashem, you're inviting a bona fide apikorus. Not saying you should or shouldn't - just something to be aware of.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 6:13 pm
Seas wrote:
If you invite someone who doesn't believe that the entire torah (written and oral) is from Hashem, you're inviting a bona fide apikorus. Not saying you should or shouldn't - just something to be aware of.

More likely nowadays he's a tinok shenishba who doesn't know better, actually.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 7:13 pm
Seas wrote:

I wouldn't be inviting them, I would, didn't yet, give a general invitation and hopefully someone will say yes.

samantha87

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 7:36 pm
Conservadox used to be a term for Orthodox, except... Like Orthodox shul, kosher home, "eating out dairy," not into TH.

Reconstructionists are a niche group similar in practice to Conservative, but with very liberal theology. Like, Judaism is merely a culture we practice to feel good about our ancestors.

Don't forget Renewal, another niche group which focuses on chassidus but without any grounding in mitzvos and tradition.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics