Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Year in Review 2015

thinkermother

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 5:39 pm
im putting together a Year in Review for 2015 for my current events students and would appreciate any input regarding notable international, national, regional or jewish news that happened this year. any help, suggestions are welcome!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:03 pm
It would depends on their nationality and all, but for me unfortunately "the news" that were the most striking were the Paris events.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:23 pm
Definitely the Paris attacks and ISIS sponsored terror at the top of the list.
The refugee crisis.
The Nepal earthquake in April.
The Supreme Court decision on same relations marriage
The Baltimore race riots.
The Germanwings plane crash.
The Palestinian terror wave in Israel.
The arms deal with Iran and Netanyahu's speech to Congress in March.

Lizzie4

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:25 pm
The Mishpacha and the Ami both have articles on this (maybe for R"H?)

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 4:05 pm
Wow what a year.
I almost don't want to look back and just look forward.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyli.....eview
http://abcnews.go.com/US/year-.....52690

etky

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 4:28 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
Wow what a year.
I almost don't want to look back and just look forward.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyli.....eview
http://abcnews.go.com/US/year-.....52690

That's what I was thinking too but then I recalled that I always have this same thought at the end of every year. Each year has its share of catastrophes, accidents, natural disasters, wars and political and social turmoil. Bad as it was, I'm not sure that it was any worse than some other years in pretty recent memory. And who knows what lies ahead....

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 8:48 pm
I hear your point and have come to the same realization myself many years, but I think this one really has been especially disheartening. The Middle East is even more in shambles than usual, the refugee crisis in Europe is just unparalleled, the amount of terrorism is more than any year I can remember, between daily attacks in Israel, the massive one in France as well as relatively minor ones, and elsewhere including shootings in the u.s. The presidential race taking this ridiculous turn with trump overshadowing the otherwise promising Republican Party, when we were thinking this might be our chance for a normal government or something. I mean, every year has its disasters and tragedies but this year seems to me had especially a lot and especially big ones.

On a related note I clicked through the link above to nbc's "year in pictures" and was appalled that he only picture about Israel was of an idf soldier allegedly holding down a Palestinian boy while other Palestinian youth are crying around him. First of all we don't know what the boy was doing before he was held down. Secondly if you are going to show anything at all then why not show both sides. I mean we know why not but it makes me angry.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 8:59 am
I would include events that would likely have lingering impacts, not just one-off natural/human disasters. My contributing suggestions, in addition to obvious Syrian/Iraqi refugee crisis and ISIS offensives as below:

- Oil and commodity price collapse throughout most of 2015
- UN Climate Change talks and Paris agreement
- Normalisation of US-Cuba relationship
- Iran nuclear deal agreement and lifting of economic sanctions
- Natanyahu/Likud winning Israeli general election
- Release of Jonathan Pollard
- Greece bail out by ECB/IMF
- Removal of Confederate flags

also include Paris attacks on Charlie Hebdo and kosher hypermarket in January as well the one in Nov.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics