Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How/Where do you store all your kids books..mine are flying

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 12:43 pm
Title says it all!

How and where do you put your kids reading books that have accumulated? I don't want to throw them into containers, or they wont be accessible.

I am looking for bookshelves I can buy online preferably from Amazon, that DH can build, and that we can use to store the 100s of kids books that are flying everywhere. I don't mind buying 2 smaller units, Dont want to spend tons of money, any other ideas are appreciated. We want to bring all the books to the basement to put them onto something....just don't know what something to get!

asmileaday

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 12:46 pm
Billy bookcase from Ikea worked wonders for us. They come in a few colors & widths, easy to assemble and are quite cheap. I'd buy a few of the narrower widths, I think it's a neater look.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 12:49 pm
My girls have book shelves mounted on the walls in their room. In addition they each have a small cloth-like crate near their beds for their "current" accumulation - keeps their night-time reading material organized.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 1:11 pm
I went crazy for years with trying to organize kids books. One year before school, I found something like this in Target and it is amazing!! I love it. My bookshelves are so neat and organized now without requiring too much effort.
http://www.demco.com/goto?prd1.....P8HAQ

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 1:15 pm
We have a shelf from Ikea that has square cut outs. Some shelves have books and some have toys.

lattemom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 1:54 pm
So excited to read this cause I just organized our books. A while ago I bought a folding bookcase from Crate and Barrel. It fits a bunch of books and it is only three shelves so the books are pretty accessible. The other plus is that it comes assembled. You just unfold it. It also doesn't take up a lot of space so you can easily get more than one.

I also put the baby books in two fabric storage containers.

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 2:00 pm
I had the folding bookshelf from crate and barrel and it was great until it almost fell on DS. that was the end of that one.

Swissmiss

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 2:06 pm
I use bins on a shelf. The kids can "flip through" the books and just shove them back in to the bin. It looks neat and is super easy upkeep. (No putting them on the shelves horizontally) bins can be arranged by genre or level

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 2:09 pm
Just remember whether it is a bookshelf or a china cabinet, make sure it's secured to the wall.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 2:14 pm
OP here, I don't want bins, I want something accessible at all times, preferably not too expensive and not too difficult to assemble! TY

Swissmiss

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 2:29 pm
Bins are accessible at all times! Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly. And I got my bins for $1! But good luck either way!

http://www.scholastic.com/teac.....brary

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 2:32 pm
Swissmiss wrote:
Bins are accessible at all times! Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly. And I got my bins for $1! But good luck either way!

http://www.scholastic.com/teac.....brary

But then, don't you still needs shelves to put the bins onto?

Swissmiss

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 2:48 pm
Yes you would need a shelf or bookcase but I found when I put the books straight onto shelves, the kids would just shove them back in any which way (because you have to hold the books with one hand and then neatly put the other one back which was NOT happening with my kids) and I had to keep reorganizing them this way, they stay neat because putting them in the bin is easy.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 3:22 pm
There are little library shelves, either from wood or canvas. Tried to post a link, but didn't work. Google kids library shelves it should pop up.

MMCH

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 6:00 pm
we have this one that we lay on its side

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036.....psc=1

Its in front of my kids beds.
Some of them have books, some of them have cloth bins for toys and stuffed animals.

Loving it so far!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 7:42 pm
We have 2 like this in white. Sometimes you can get them at 50% off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics