Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
4 week old baby gagging

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 12:54 am
My baby was sleeping in his crib and I heard a noise (I was about to fall asleep)..I picked him up put him into an infant seat and two mins later he started gagging again which was very scary, I fast picked him up...he's back in the infant seat sleeping peacefully but I'm scared to go to sleep...anybody had such a small baby gag/almost choke? He's snoring slightly which is also weird for such a small baby. Any idea what this can be?

asp40

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 1:05 am
Does he have a cold? If this is a new thing I would actually call the doctor even in the middle of the night.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 1:15 am
I never seen this happen before..he looks totally fine now but it was really scary.. and I don't want to wake ped, I would rather be up all night with him..but I'm wondering if anybody ever experienced something like this..

asp40

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 1:23 am
Yes, babies can gag but usually when sick and they have mucous.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 1:33 am
Thanks for reply! Can this happen from a stuffy nose?

water_bear88

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 3:02 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for reply! Can this happen from a stuffy nose?

For sure. Have you tried clearing his nose with saline and a bulb syringe/nose freeda?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 6:56 am
It can also be coming from reflux. There may have been spit up in his throat. That can happen even if you never see him spit up- it can just go back down. And that would cause some congestion as well.

If it happens again, you may want to try zantac.

2cents

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 7:48 am
It's not uncommon for a baby to gag, especially with a cold, and especially if the baby is prone to spitting up. If it was happening often (along with the snoring, and not during a cold), I would say speak to your pediatrician and see and ENT.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 8:59 am
An infant seat is not the safest place for a newborn to sleep either. The chin-to-chest position can also cause airway obstruction. Gagging can be due to a cold, reflux or a bunch of other things, all of which should be checked out with your pediatrician sooner rather than later.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:32 am
call your pediatrician and speak to him/her over the phone...it can very well be reflux (I had that with one of my kids) they recommended that when I nurse I should only nurse a few minutes at a time instead of a full 20 min. feeding at once (was basically nursing all through the day and night)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics