Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Making a wedding and supporting a young couple
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 11:23 am
Fox wrote:
You know, this is probably one of the meanest things directed toward an individual that I've seen in over 7 years on Imamother.

Yes, I have a reputation for verbosity. I try to have a sense of humor about it and be somewhat self-deprecating. Likewise, my well-documented nutsIness over the NY Regents system.

I don't come to Imamother for pregnancy advice. I come for the intellectual stimulation and opportunity to consider big issues and ideas, and somehow I have a hard time articulating many of those issues in pithy one-liners or even one-paragraphers.

I am sorry if I come off as authoritative. I have a significant command presence IRL, and I understand that I can be intimidating when I don't intend to be.

But let me be honest: the uptick in sarcasm and blanket condemnations of entire groups is undermining Imamother. I have many online friends who've essentially left Imamother because of it. I get PMs and emails almost every time topics like this come up -- the most recent involved very sarcastic comments directed toward a gadol with whom many of the posters were completely unfamiliar! You can be 100 percent opposed to a particular gadol or philosophy and still treat him/it with respect. Go back and read how FS's extremely Zionistic father referred to the Satmar Rebbe, z"tl.

If you don't like me or what I say, then argue back. Point out where my logic is faulty or where I'm just plain wrong. Not only can I handle it, I love it!

But expressing criticism or distaste does not, by itself, constitute discussion or intellectual argument. And if you do so repeatedly and/or sarcastically about a particular subject, don't act injured when someone calls you on it.

IMO your implication that MY is a bigot in a Clintonesque manner is far more offensive than what I wrote, which you chose to feel was an attack but was actually just my perspective on your posting and not personal in the slightest.

Whatever, the mob have spoken again and as usual, it is not in favor of the more unusual posters on here. This is a hostile environment for so called "left wing bigots" who are free to be attacked by all poets, verbose or txtspkrs.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 11:25 am
Not engaging more with this, btw.

SRS

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 11:27 am
I am itching for my parents to leave by the end of their week long visits, so I don't think living with parents/in-laws is ideal by any means, but if you go in with a 'no harm no foul' attitude and everyone understands that they can just be upfront if the plan doesn't work, you have a good starting point. I know plenty of working people with children that have moved in with their parents either as help from the parents so they could become homeowners or in situations of desperation. And if kollel is to have some mesiras nefesh to it, well, here is the opportunity.
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics