Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Making conversation at Simchos

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 10:51 am
I was at a family Simcho recently seated near my elderly aunt who seemed like she felt out of place. She was the only person of her generation at the table . She also has a different haskafah with very different views and interests then everyone else seated there. To compound matters while she is not a mean or difficult person she does feel very strongly about many issues so a conversation with her would have to be kept very neutral.

Neither of us are outgoing but being that I am a closer relative to the Baalas Simcho and a member of the majority group I felt it my obligation to make her feel comfortable and wanted. Question was how. Even discussing her grandchildren and great children is risked with peril that she may take offense that I know so little. (actually she has four not two children...he moved to Baltimore four years ago...he gave up on trying too...)Plus she isn't the type to discuss her family.

Bottom line question is: How do you make sure someone seated near you at a Simcho doesn't feel lonely when you have little in common with her and she isn't the talkative type but also not the type to appreciate being ignored or left out?

GAP

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 2:38 pm
Start by smiling at her or say hi Mrs. Xyz. Haven't seen u in a while. What's new? How are u enjoying this wedding? Do u like the food? Talk about what's happening around you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics