Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Writing bar mitzvah thank you cards

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:07 pm
My son's bar mitzvah was at the end of the summer, and I still haven't sent out his thank you cards. (Thankfully, there won't be many--it was a Shabbos bar mitzvah and many guests forgot to give a gift. . . .)
Problem is, his handwriting is beyond horrible and mostly illegible. Working with an OT for close to 10 years didn't do much good and his penmanship resembles that of a three- or four-year-old. He has ODD and trying to get him to sit down and attempt to write neatly is too much of a struggle.
What would you do? Just forget about it? (I'm not completely comfortable with that. I think it teaches a bad lesson in proper etiquette.) Or have him type out and print out the thank yous and maybe just have him sign his name?

asp40

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:16 pm
Have him type them out and sign. Please don't skip the thank you notes. Some of my kids have awful handwriting and aren't great with spelling. They still sent thank you notes even if I was mildly embarrassed by their writing. I really hate when people don't send notes. I never know if they got or saw or enjoyed the gift.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:50 pm
Yes typing out the cards and then signing them in pen is what I would do

animeme

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 12:14 am
We had ds's printed with his message. He had to just sign, and I had him write a quick one sentence note to grandparents or when he got a gift he really liked.

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 12:32 am
He can type and sign. I've received thank yous like that. If that's too much with the ODD you can type them out and he can sign, or even just send a generic thank you to everyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)