Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Did you lose your scru....

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 10:20 am
Just trying to figure out how on earth people have the nerve to ask a third party in front of you things like:

"Is she Jewish?"
"Is she Kosher?"

Was there some misgiving to the notion I am neither deaf nor blind? Did you lose your scruples?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 10:47 am
Are you a food that people ask if you are kosher?

This crosses from rude to just plain idiotic.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 11:18 am
youngishbear wrote:
Are you a food that people ask if you are kosher?

Ppl who have never come into contact with Jews or kosher before, really have very little understanding beyond no pig out maybe no meat and milk. Them along if someone is kosher, is simply them trying to understand. Plus is shorthand. And they might think if they touch something kosher they can make it not kosher bc they are not kosher and do not understand the rules.

I agree it isn't polite to ask something abt someone when they are right there, but the questions are not our if maliciousness.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 11:20 am
If the poster is on here I'm assuming she's addressing frum women, hoping that whoever did this is on here. IOW, I understood that frum women asked these questions. Wierd questions IMO.

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 12:44 pm
youngishbear wrote:
If the poster is on here I'm assuming she's addressing frum women, hoping that whoever did this is on here. IOW, I understood that frum women asked these questions. Wierd questions IMO.

In my experience with different streams of Judaism, describing someone as "kosher" is a normal way of speaking. Such as, "I'm not kosher but my sister is..." which is a direct quote from a non-frum coworker.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 1:10 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
In my experience with different streams of Judaism, describing someone as "kosher" is a normal way of speaking. Such as, "I'm not kosher but my sister is..." which is a direct quote from a non-frum coworker.

As in "I don't keep kosher but my sister does"?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 1:18 pm
Actually, that is a lingo among very sheltered Lakewood hs girls
They will say she isn't a kosher, meaning a particular girl doesn't dress like them or think like them...

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 1:39 pm
Try to imagine sitting at a shabbos table. Different types of people.

When I mentioned my mother is a giyores. A mentsch hut gefregt di baal habayis in yhiddish "oib zi bist a yid?".

In a different conversation I said we should make a party cause a few people birthdays are coming up this month and a women (above man's wife) also questioned the baalas habayis if she's kosher.

So what we have here is an ill mannered Jew asking another person in front of me all these queries regarding how holy I am or chas vshalom mir kenst nisht essen by ir.

Guess what nobody is invited to the imaginary party and one can always hire a mashgiach if they were actually pining to go.

All this after shockingly saying my slate-n-copper nail-polish looked oy vey mir kenst nisht zuggin chrysmassy. Either she is color blind or doesn't know God also created red and green.

This after saying she follows her husband's minhag saying I don't know halacha; even though she never lernt (sic) it and I personally have knowledge of a certain minhag due to learning regarding same.

How many strikes, is it 3 and you're out? I gave her 4.

Now the host tells me I'm sensitive.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 2:20 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
They will say she isn't a kosher, meaning a particular girl doesn't dress like them or think like them...

shock shock Ugh. I guess HS girls will be HS girls? But seriously. Exploding anger

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 2:27 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

Never heard of it. I'm going to ask my Lakewood hs dd if she has.

ETA, I just asked my daughters and none of them have ever heard kosher being used like that.

gold21

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 3:07 pm
Im rather confused by all the yiddish. Can u translate OP? Im not sure what youre saying? Something about your nail polish being Christmasy? Why, what color was it? Why hang out with these people altogether if theyre not your cup of tea?

November

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 3:18 pm
Are these people you need to be hanging around with? If not, move right on and don't stop to look in the rear mirror.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 6:10 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

I'm a Lakewood HS graduate, never heard of that....

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 6:44 pm
so curious, which Lakewood HS, because I have never heard a Lakewood girl or anyone else talk that way.

the only way I know of using kosher on a person is with regard to their ethics, as in "is he honest?"

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 7:21 pm
I don't know. I drive girls all the time or get into conversations in restaurants and hear it a lot.
I'm relieved too hear it isn't so widespread .

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 11:46 pm
What I notice as a trend is that people think it's okay to talk about someone if you are talking in a different language or if they are not addressing you directly. Well the jokes on you if you ***ume they don't understand you. Yiddish is NOT exclusive to sheitel wearers. How offensive not to mention a chillul Hashem & also loshon hora ...

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 12:50 am
youngishbear wrote:
As in "I don't keep kosher but my sister does"?

Yes, exactly.

(Sorry for the late reply. Been away from the computer all day.)

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 1:49 am
amother wrote:

When I mentioned my mother is a giyores. A mentsch hut gefregt di baal habayis in yhiddish "oib zi bist a yid?".

In a different conversation I said we should make a party cause a few people birthdays are coming up this month and a women (above man's wife) also questioned the baalas habayis if she's kosher.

So what we have here is an ill mannered Jew asking another person in front of me all these queries regarding how holy I am or chas vshalom mir kenst nisht essen by ir.

Guess what nobody is invited to the imaginary party and one can always hire a mashgiach if they were actually pining to go.

All this after shockingly saying my slate-n-copper nail-polish looked oy vey mir kenst nisht zuggin chrysmassy. Either she is color blind or doesn't know God also created red and green.

This after saying she follows her husband's minhag saying I don't know halacha; even though she never lernt (sic) it and I personally have knowledge of a certain minhag due to learning regarding same.

They sound like boors.

You could be confrontational and say (very politely) something along the lines of:

"Baruch HaShem my ears work perfectly well. I'm sitting right here Wave and I can hear and understand every word you are saying about me. If you can't resist gossiping, can you at least save it for after Shabbat? You are ruining my dinner."

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 1:53 am
amother wrote:

Sounds like two people who are very socially impaired.

Doesn't sound like the type of people whom you should take seriously. I bet everyone else at that meal was cringing along with you.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 3:20 am
Is she Kosher? Why are you a cannibal?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette