Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Sorting laundry

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 9:37 pm
I never separate clothes by color - white, dark and colors. I have always washed all of them together. Why separate?

Also why is it that just about all baby and toddler clothing says to wash in delicate, and sometimes specifically cold delicate??

I hope I'm doing laundry right!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 9:44 pm
as long as your laundry comes out clean and un-shrunk, I wouldn't worry about it. the point is to clean the clothing, not to go nuts over it.

happy chick

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 9:46 pm
whites need hot water (and bleach) to stay bright white. . darks and colored could technically go togther.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:17 am
I find when I wash dark clothing with very light clothing the clothes come out grungier, a little grey, and not as fresh looking. So I try to wash black\darks separately from the lights and whites that I don't bleach.

I also do a white only wash in hot water and bleach (underwear, undershirts, shabbos shirts, etc).

I wash baby clothing with regular clothing, at that point I don't have a lot of time to spend sorting clothes of different sizes. I have had some more expensive items shrink on me because of it. I'll just use sensitive\no dye soap for the whole family rather then wash separate.

Towels shouldn't be washed with regular clothing because they are abrasive and can wear out the clothing faster. I also like to wash towels in hot water for germs.

cm

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:45 am
Dark/colored clothes can "bleed" onto other clothes in the wash. One errant red sock can make all your white clothes pink, and I have had similar experiences with black and dark blue.

I wash all my laundry with unscented detergent, but people who use scented products may choose to use unscented products for the baby.

I don't do baby clothes on the delicate cycle, but some delicate/hand wash garments prefer it. It is convenient to do baby clothes together to simplify sorting and putting away.

Towels and other heavy items can keep everything wet longer. I will put them in the dryer separately.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:49 am
I wash everything together and have never had a problem with anything. Sometimes I will do a delicate load of my husband's shabbat shirts and table cloths, but thats the only thing I dont put in together with everything else. And everything comes out looking nice and clean.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry