Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
My ODD daughter is making my life HARD!

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 9:05 am
I am having an increasingly hard time with my 12 year old with ODD.
She is just a great kid and so well behaved at school BH. At home with me its sooooooo HARD. She is so ANGRY and DEFIANT about such stupid things. I had lots of choices for lunch. She wanted none of them. She was crying and screaming for ages and ages. I feel SO SO DRAINED.
I also dont like that that I see she is getting worse as she gets hormonal and teenagery.
Yes she is in therapy.
It takes a big toll on me and the rest of the family too.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 11:06 am
I want you to know I feel your pain. Only when you live with it can you know how unbearable and crazy it is. My daughter was like that. For years. Therapy did not help. Finally at the age of 9 we were told to give medication for a mood disorder and she is a completely different child. all our family members cant get over what "an amazing job" we did with her that she behaves so well and normal and nice. Different than by you, my daughter wasn't misbehaving in school but she was being temper mental and not nice to the girls..How is your daughter socially?

grace413

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 11:16 am
It's so difficult.

Hug

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
I want you to know I feel your pain. Only when you live with it can you know how unbearable and crazy it is. My daughter was like that. For years. Therapy did not help. Finally at the age of 9 we were told to give medication for a mood disorder and she is a completely different child. all our family members cant get over what "an amazing job" we did with her that she behaves so well and normal and nice. Different than by you, my daughter wasn't misbehaving in school but she was being temper mental and not nice to the girls..How is your daughter socially?

I agree with this. Your daughter sounds extremely disregulated. In school she works super hard to hold it together, but at home she can't. Doesn't really sound ODD, there is more to the mood issues. Definitely recommend a good child psychiatrist.

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 1:07 pm
Thank you for all the replies. It makes me feel really not alone.
we got her a very solid eval. She has also a lot of learning issues. There is a lot at play.Maybe there is a mood issue also? I don't know :-(
I may need to do more searching.
She works VERY hard to hold it together in school and at home she lets it all out.
see now, all the kids are sitting together laughing with my husband. This is not all all the time thing. It is like a 20% of the time thing. but that 20% is BAD.

myym

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 2:23 pm
Are you in ny? I can recommend someone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)